• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

Dexter wrote:By the way, maybe this will catch on, I put a current/recent reading list in my signature. Make it easier to find people with common interests and maybe create some new discussions.
This is a great idea.
VMLM
Experienced

Unread post

Count of Monte Cristo is a very gripping read. You know what it is? It's the best revenge fantasy anyone's ever come up with xD. It's an answer to the question: "What would you do if you were given unlimited funds to get back at everyone who's ever wronged you."

Slight spoiler for the first part of Monte Cristo:
Spoiler
The only part I haven't really been able to buy into is the part where Dante basically gets a college education and a 10 billion dollar starting fund while in prison.
Dumas handles his characters and the plots and intricacies of their tangled relationships with mastery and there's no denying his ability as a story-teller. I agree with President Camacho, this is one of those books everyone should get around to reading at some point.
President Camacho wrote:I would definitely read The Republic with you. I've also read Apology...Crito. I'll need a couple months, though.

Hey no problem, I'll wait :D. In fact, that'll give me some time to go back to it and really soak it in.

Dexter: You know, I think I'll take up your suggestion ;).
Last edited by VMLM on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

It's good to see some new folks on here. Let me know when you're ready to read The Republic.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Decision Points. There's no substitute for history written by the people who lived it.

Randy
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Yes, if that individual is honest. If not then it's just a burden for truth.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

From what I've heard, it sounds like Bush's book is honest. He admits to war crimes, but he doesn't think they're wrong. He tells stories about his nutso mother and he reveals the hurt he felt when Kanye West snubbed him. Sounds about correct for his depraved life.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Right now I am reading "In all his Glory" the biography of William Paley (and CBS) I am also reading "The Novel" which is what prompted me to join this group as I really dislike this book, but it is a loan (and a recommendation) from a friend. I am also reading a book of essays by Elizabeth Hardwick.
writernubbin
Master Debater

Unread post

I am now reading When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple--a collection of stories and poems about aging women. Just finished Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck and The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan.
"When people told themselves their past with stories, explained their present with stories, foretold the future with stories, the best place by the fire was kept for the storyteller."
howardasherman
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Because I'm writing a murder mystery I'm stoking my mood with a pile of crime fiction.

Right now I'm halfway through Lee Child's Gone Tomorrow with John Sandford's Winter Prey next in the line up.

Can anyone make any good crime fiction suggestions? I'm always interested in authors that are new to me.

Howard Sherman
http://www.howardsherman.net
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Howard you have probably read all of Edgar Allen Poe, but murders in the rue morgue is a great read.

My grandson who was 13 or 14 at the time made a pretty good movie of the "Tell tale Heart"

I am reading "Infidel" which is very interesting and current and should be read by everyone who thinks religion is benign

Return to “What are you currently reading?”