• In total there are 111 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 110 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Name that book!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
VMLM
Experienced

Name that book!

Unread post

Hey, I'm wondering if you guys can help me. I'm looking for a couple of books I read way back in 1999, but I can't remember the name, the author and I only have a vague recollection of the plot xD. Let's see if anyone can *drumroll* Naaaame Thaaaaat Boooook!

The first one is set in the far future. A spaceship pilot has his consciousness melded into his ship, allowing for speeds and maneuvers that a human body would never resist. The pilot turned spaceship begins a journey of space exploration which takes him to a world populated by strange turtle like beings who communicate through elaborate arm movements.

The Second book is not so far into the future. China rules the world, something they've apparently achieved by overpopulating it. The Earth is teeming with humanity, living one on top of the other and apparently unable to stop themselves reproducing. The Chinese government builds a gargantuan space ship to send off millions of people on a colonization mission. The colonizers live for centuries on the world ship before finally arriving at Alpha Centauri, and begin colonizing the nearest habitable planet.

Ring any bells?
Last edited by VMLM on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Name that book!

Unread post

Neither book rings a bell, but the 2nd book's plot sounds pretty exciting. If you figure it out please let me know. That one would make for a great fiction book discussion since it hits on many topics that we discuss here regularly, namely colonizing other planets, overpopulation, etc..
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: Name that book!

Unread post

VMLM wrote:Hey, I'm wondering if you guys can help me. I'm looking for a couple of books I read way back in 1999, but I can't remember the name, the author and I only have a vague recollection of the plot xD. Let's see if anyone can *drumroll* Naaaame Thaaaaat Boooook!

The first one is set in the far future. A spaceship pilot has his consciousness melded into his ship, allowing for speeds and maneuvers that a human body would never resist. The pilot turned spaceship begins a journey of space exploration which takes him to a world populated by strange turtle like beings who communicate through elaborate arm movements.

The Second book is not so far into the future. China rules the world, something they've apparently achieved by overpopulating it. The Earth is teeming with humanity, living one on top of the other and apparently unable to stop themselves reproducing. The Chinese government builds a gargantuan space ship to send off millions of people on a colonization mission. The colonizers live for centuries on the world ship before finally arriving at Alpha Centauri, and begin colonizing the nearest habitable planet.

Ring any bells?
Try looking in Amazon.com for books by Anne McCaffrey she specialized in books about spaceships that were run by human brains.

Second one, sorry.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “Everything Else”