• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DickZ

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Writing Student

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

Welcome to the forum, Howard.

I guess the most-widely touted classic murder novel is Crime and Punishment. I'm not as keen on this book as others seem to be, and consider it to be highly over-rated, but it does get lots of acclaim and there must be a good reason for that.
Currently reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Recently completed The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman, Beaumarchais by Maurice Lever, The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, My Turn at Bat by Ted Williams, Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Lost Horizon by James Hilton.
howardasherman
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Funny enough I started Crime and Punishment (during a trip to Russia, ironically) and never got to finish it as I lost my copy somewhere during my travels.

I really should get back to it. I was intrigued right from the violent beginning. Dostoyevsky is a master and I owe it to myself to finish what I started and treat myself to a true classic of crime fiction.

Thanks so much for bringing it up!

Howard Sherman
http://www.howardsherman.net
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie. This is the second of Rushdie's fairy tale type books. Luka has an adventure in the land of retired gods. He must steal the Fire of Life in order to save his father from dying. Very interesting and fun book and, of course, extraordinarily written.
howardasherman
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Howard you have probably read all of Edgar Allen Poe, but murders in the rue morgue is a great read.

My grandson who was 13 or 14 at the time made a pretty good movie of the "Tell tale Heart"

I am reading "Infidel" which is very interesting and current and should be read by everyone who thinks religion is benign
No I never did read Murders in the Rue Morgue. That goes straight to my TBR list. Thank you so much for suggesting it!

Howard Sherman
http://www.howardsherman.net
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Howard you have probably read all of Edgar Allen Poe, but murders in the rue morgue is a great read.

My grandson who was 13 or 14 at the time made a pretty good movie of the "Tell tale Heart"

I am reading "Infidel" which is very interesting and current and should be read by everyone who thinks religion is benign

Infidel is a wonderful book which really opens ones eyes to what is going on in parts of the world. The author recently published her second book.

I'm currently reading Vineland by Pynchon.
DMLinderman03

Unread post

I'm fixing to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

DMLinderman03 wrote:I'm fixing to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
hOpe you enjoy it. I have really enjoyed the trilogy and I'm not usually a murder mystery fan. Happy reading.
writernubbin
Master Debater

Unread post

I just finished 2 books--A Broom of One's Own by Nancy Peacock and The Dog of the Marriage: Stories by Amy Hempel. Enjoyed both but really really liked the first one of the two.
Last edited by writernubbin on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When people told themselves their past with stories, explained their present with stories, foretold the future with stories, the best place by the fire was kept for the storyteller."
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I just started "Olivia" a novel by the woman who wrote "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" and Emmeline
JadenKnight
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm Currently Reading "Thirteen Reasons Why" By: Jay Asher, It is a Young Adult novel, About the impact that thirteen people had on one 17 year old girl, and the snowball effect that led to her to ending her life. It's truly a heartbreaking book. I picked it up for my teenage neice, but had to read it for myself. I am truely moved by this story. It's a good read for all ages. It opens your eyes to the impact our smallest actions can have on others.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”