• In total there are 41 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

New to the Group

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MrsBear87
Getting Comfortable

New to the Group

Unread post

I've been an avid reader most of my life. Mostly fiction, but some non-fiction, too. Bill Bryson's a favorite in that category. I enjoy Melville, Tolstoy, Austen (of course), David Foster Wallace, Richard Russo...

I got a Nook for Christmas, so am exploring the e-reader frontier, too.

I was very wary of the whole e-reading thing. I like the feel of a book, the typefaces, the paper. I like that when I get a book from the library, I'm part of a community of readers that have held that same book in their hands. I like to see the books I own on my shelves. I like to see what others have on their shelves, too.

E-reading seemed geeky. At a coffee shop, folks with their little Kindles and Nooks seemed to be saying, "Look at me! I'm a techno-reader! You poor Luddites are stuck in the past, etc." And why stupid names like Nook and Kindle?

But now that I have it, and am downloading free books from Project Gutenberg that I would never have read otherwise, I'm warming a bit. For my first book purchase, I got "Infinate Jest" by David Foster Wallace. I'd read it a few years ago, but was too lazy to drag out my dictionary every time I came across a word I didn't know - which was about every other page. Now, tap tap and there's the definition (usually.)

So, there. That's a bit of me.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: New to the Group

Unread post

Hello and welcome MrsBear87

I understand your reluctance to give in to the temptation of an e reader, I felt the same as you for a long time. However, when I found out that I was able to get FREE books, well, have to say, I'm enjoying my nook very much! I also use Project Gutenberg.

I hope you enjoy yourself here at BookTalk!
MrsBear87
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Suzanne -

As an e-book user, have you ever borrowed an e-book from your local library? I've put in for one, but as of yet, haven't gotten it.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

MrsBear87 wrote:As an e-book user, have you ever borrowed an e-book from your local library? I've put in for one, but as of yet, haven't gotten it.
I don't understand the borrow/lend feature on my e-reader. Can you really borrow from a library? Wow!

I don't know if my library offers this, it has suffered so, so many monetary cut backs that I can no longer ask for a copy of a new release, or any copy of any book for that matter.

You'll have to keep me posted on the results of your request. I do have to say however, I have downloaded soooooo many free books, that I have not visited my library in over a month!
Paca57
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Suzanne-- I know Amazon allows you to lend an ebook you have purchased for something like two weeks, to one person only. Perhaps that is the function you see on your reader...?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org! :)

I need to learn how to lend and borrow books on my Kindle.
Paca57
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I believe you can find that information, or post the question, on the boards at Amazon Kindle Bookstore, at bottom of page in discussions...
MrsBear87
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Here's a link to the article that clued me in to borrowing e-books from the library: http://nooktalk.net/how-to/how-to-borro ... -nookcolor

This works with the Nook as well as the Kindle. You must first download the appropriate software that works with your library system. My library's website has an ereader section that pointed me in the right direction.

I'm sure with all the great minds here, we can all do this! :-)
icosahedronman

Unread post

I am new here. Hi!

Return to “Everything Else”