• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MrsBear87
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

The cowboy stories of Andy Adams. Great stuff!

"Andy Adams (May 3, 1859 – September 26, 1935) was an American writer of western fiction.

Andy Adams was born in Indiana. His parents, Andrew and Elizabeth (Elliott) Adams, were pioneers. As a boy he helped with the cattle and horses on the family farm. In the early 1880s he went to Texas, where he stayed for 10 years, spending much of that time driving cattle on the western trail. In 1890 he left the trail to try his hand at business, but the venture failed, so he turned his hand to gold-mining in Colorado and Nevada. In 1894, he settled in Colorado Springs, where he lived until his death.

He began writing at the age of 43, publishing his most successful book, The Log of a Cowboy, in 1903. His other works include A Texas Matchmaker (1904), The Outlet (1905), Cattle Brands (1906), Reed Anthony, Cowman: An Autobiography (1907), Wells Brothers (1911), and The Ranch on the Beaver (1927).

The Log of a Cowboy is an account of a five-month drive of 3,000 cattle from Brownsville, Texas, to Montana in 1882 along the Great Western Cattle Trail. Although the book is fiction, it is firmly based on Adams's own experiences on the trail, and it is considered by many to be the best account of cowboy life in literature. Adams was disgusted by the unrealistic cowboy fiction being published in his day; The Log of a Cowboy was his response. It is still in print, and even modern reviewers consider it a compelling classic. The Chicago Herald said: "As a narrative of cowboy life, Andy Adams' book is clearly the real thing. It carries its own certificate of authentic first-hand experience on every page."
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Too much!

Huckleberry Finn
The Name of the Rose
and
The Fairy Faith of the Celts
howardasherman
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

MrsBear87 wrote:The cowboy stories of Andy Adams. Great stuff!

"Andy Adams (May 3, 1859 – September 26, 1935) was an American writer of western fiction.

Andy Adams was born in Indiana. His parents, Andrew and Elizabeth (Elliott) Adams, were pioneers. As a boy he helped with the cattle and horses on the family farm. In the early 1880s he went to Texas, where he stayed for 10 years, spending much of that time driving cattle on the western trail. In 1890 he left the trail to try his hand at business, but the venture failed, so he turned his hand to gold-mining in Colorado and Nevada. In 1894, he settled in Colorado Springs, where he lived until his death.
I am impressed! I get a big kick seeing a deceased author's work recognized years -- and in your case decades -- after they pass on.

People like you keeps their writing alive and insures their work is not forgotten.

I'm putting an Andy Adams book on my TBR list. Thank you very much for suggesting him.

Howard Sherman
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I wish I had The Name of the Rose. I read Baudolino by Eco and I liked it but I heard Rose was one of his best works. I haven't found it yet in Goodwill :/. Wish I could read it with you.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:I wish I had The Name of the Rose. I read Baudolino by Eco and I liked it but I heard Rose was one of his best works. I haven't found it yet in Goodwill :/. Wish I could read it with you.
I'm not loving it Pres. I actually got a copy of "Rose" for a buck at a library sale years ago, and after 50 pages gave it back. I bought a different translation of it for my e reader. I'm about 200 pages into it, I'm sticking with it, but still, can't really see what all the fuss is about. Maybe my lack of enjoyment of it has something to do with my aversion to Divinci Code. :lol:

OOOOO, "Fairy Faith" is really good! But I'm part Welsh and like that kind of stuff. What's interesting is that people did and still do believe in these little horrible critters! :P

Invest in an e reader Pres! I never thought I would say it, but I love mine. I have a Pandigital, it's like a nook. So many free books, it will blow your mind. It's like being let loose in a book store, in your PJs!!!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

What? I think I'm reading this wrong. How can I be let loose in your pj's? What do I need to buy????
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

:lol:
:o
:blush:
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Just finished Benjamin Franklin by Isaacson and Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Nomad is extremely powerful and gives a picture of the life of women under Islam. Ali feels that the US needs to be more diligent about letting Shari'a law spread in the US.
Wine and Books
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I have a habit of reading several things at the same time, so the list at the present moment is something like this:

Llosa's The War at the End of the World
Twain's Huckelberry Finn
Peter Mathiessen Shadow Country
and a science book on Dark Matter and Dark Energy
A good book is only made better with a glass of wine........
CaroleS
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Well of Shades, Juliet Marillier

Return to “What are you currently reading?”