• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Richmond Lattimore's translation of The Acts and Letters of the Apostles

Collapse, by Jared Diamond

Excursions in the Real World, by William Trevor
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I'm pretty sure that 1984 is the most depressing book I have ever read. My daughter who graduated from college in 1984 was required to read this before starting school.

Must be quite different to read it in 2011, than when it was published!

I am reading a bio of Swinburne. Next "Salamina" a sort of biographical diary by artist Rockwell Kent about his time spent in Greenland.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:I'm pretty sure that 1984 is the most depressing book I have ever read.
I won't argue it except to say that I was so thrilled to read this well-written, interesting (and at times, humorous) book that even imagining a boot stamping on my human face - forever didn't really get me down. The most depressing book I've read, two most depressing books actually, I won't mention their titles, are written by cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling. My attempts at reading these books resulted in months-long timeframes away from reading ANY books. Still, I don't think he's a bad writer. He just depresses me with every word he writes. It's something else!

I'm currently reading Shosha by Isaac Bashevis Singer (which I've mentioned in a thread with an identical subject.) Anyway, who is Swinburne?

EDIT: I knew I knew the name from somewhere! Here are The Fugs:
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I am reading "The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries", have to say, I'm having a blast with it. I love all the folklore.

With that said, I thought I would read, "Rob Roy" along with FF. I don't think I can read RR. Has anyone read this? The man is very interesting, the time and place are interesting, but the writing style, UG! Don't know if I could read 1000 pages of it.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:I'm pretty sure that 1984 is the most depressing book I have ever read. My daughter who graduated from college in 1984 was required to read this before starting school.
I think Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo was the most depressing book I've ever read, even more depressing than The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

I am reading Collapse by Jared Diamond right now. It makes Cormac McCarthy's The Road a whole lot more frightening and has raised my estimation of Mr. McCarthy.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Wow, we've got two people reading Collapse. I've read A Short History of Human Progress by Ronald Wright which shows the rise and fall of four civilizations--Sumer, Rome, Easter Island, and the Maya--with pretty stark suggestion that what led to their collapse is happening now on a worldwide scale. Not a hopeful book.

I'm loving 1984. Camacho started a thread while he was reading it and several people commented on it. It's a book that leaves an impression on its readers, I gather.
-Geo
Question everything
Dawn

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Still recovering from Sam Harris' End of Faith by reading its antidote: THE END OF REASON by Ravi Zacharias--a refreshingly respectful and well reasoned statement refuting much of Sam's inflammatory rhetoric.

But the favorite read of late is the hot-off-the-press first book by Ann Voskamp--One Thousand Gifts--a Dare to Live Fully Right Where your Are. Her use of language is exquisite. It restores my soul........
"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."--Jesus
"For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."--Jesus
Tati-Ana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The possessed by dostoevsky. puzzling, very puzzling. but interesting:)
britt.britt
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Return to “What are you currently reading?”