• In total there are 55 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Dead Authors

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MrsBear87
Getting Comfortable

Re: Dead Authors

Unread post

Would they teach literature or writing?

Wouldn't it be great to have Dickens and Hemmingway team teach? They'd drive each other crazy. Hemingway would be chopping everyone's writing into tiny, short sentences, while Dickens would be ballooning them up with sentences that ran for half a page.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

When I read Old Man and the Sea it instantly became my favorite book. The author, in my mind, altered his writing style to better compliment the characters and setting of his tale. Then I read A Farewell to Arms and it shattered this perception I had. Hemingway just wrote like that all the time. I gave Farewell to Arms 1 star while many people like it. I just thought the writing was bad. His simplistic style contributed to the Old Man but did nothing but take away from Farewell.

Dickens! Another of my favorite novels is Great Expectations. What a great book with a great writing style. I've recently finished The Old Curiosity Shop and unfortunately for me it was a flop.

I'm not an English teacher so I don't really know how to explain that I thought the writing was good but the content was bad. A person was crying on every page and the ending was like - so that's how you're going to end it? Like that?

I think the person to teach me would have to be Alexandre Dumas, pere or Honore de Balzac.
Tati-Ana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Definitely I would like to be taught by Bernard Shaw and Jerome K. Jerome even by accepting the possibility to be dissed by Bernard.
Tati-Ana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Definitely I would like to be taught by Bernard Shaw and Jerome K. Jerome even by accepting the possibility to be dissed by Bernard.

Return to “Everything Else”