• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

I just picked up a book at our town book swap yesterday called "Dead Girl" it is the story written by the friend of the girl who was murdered. It seems kind of poetic, but I am not too far along.

Just finished "The End of Faith" I love Sam Harris, think he writes in a very easy to understand fashion, is very readable and of course I agree with what he says and I also learned a lot from this book.
That Book Nerd
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

God Emperor of Dune and Kate Chopin's The Awakening.

One's a dark science fiction story, and the other is a 19th-century feminist tale. It's quite a fun/jarring switch.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered."
- Tom Stoppard (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead)
gdale
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Recently read The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Currently reading Dickens' Bleak House and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

Next two on the list are The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky and Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
Conrad's story was based on a real person in the Congo. We heard this story listening to the tapes of a book called King Leopold's mines. Riveting and horrible at the same time.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Sorry the name of the book is King Leopold's Ghost
That Book Nerd
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

gdale wrote:Currently reading Dickens' Bleak House and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.
Bleak House is a favorite of mine.

If you like Hemingway, and you haven't yet, check out The Sun Also Rises. It's another personal favorite.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered."
lalouche
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Just finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Now reading the Physics of Star Trek. What can I say... I'm eclectic in my reading!
That Book Nerd
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Just finished The Awakening. Now, I need something else to read alongside God Emperor of Dune. I'm giving serious consideration to Melmoth the Wanderer.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

That Book Nerd wrote:I'm giving serious consideration to Melmoth the Wanderer
The novel was cited by Karl Edward Wagner as one of the 13 best supernatural horror novels,[1] and by H. P. Lovecraft as "an enormous stride in the evolution of the horror-tale".[2] The novel also offers social commentary on early 19th century England and, throughout the novel, denounces Roman Catholicism while expounding the virtues of Protestantism.

Oscar Wilde, during his travels after release from prison, called himself Sebastian Melmoth, deriving this pseudonym from the title character in his great-uncle's novel and from Saint Sebastian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melmoth_the_Wanderer

This looks really interesting.
Peta31
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I work in a school and the kids have been talking about the John Marsden series starting with Tomorrow, when the war began and so i am reading it to see what all the hype is about :) so far so good!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”