• In total there are 21 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Greetings from Jakarta

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lalouche
Getting Comfortable

Greetings from Jakarta

Unread post

Tired of one-off (and often one line) discussions that my reading list on Facebook provokes, it finally occurred to me that there may actually be a solution online...and so here I am. Looking forward to discovering other avid readers, book recommendations, etc.

Writing to you all from Jakarta, Indonesia.
illumination
Official Newbie!

Re: Greetings from Jakarta

Unread post

Welcome! Who are some of your favorite authors?
That Book Nerd
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Welcome to the site.

I understand your feelings about trying to post literature-related stuff on Facebook. I was actually surprised by the low number of reading/book related message boards on the internet.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered."
- Tom Stoppard (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead)
lalouche
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I don't even know where to start with favorite authors! No one is perfect- I find that even with the authors I consistently enjoy there is inevitably at least one of their books that doesn't do it for me. I really will read almost anything. Over the past few years I have been reading a lot of science fiction. My favorites in that genre: Robert Heinlein (but again, not consistently. I didn't like Starship troopers, for instance), Iain Banks, and of course Douglas Adams. Comedy: Florence of Arabia, Confederacy of Dunces. Most Neil Gaiman. All Murakami so far. The one genre of literature that does nothing for me is anything written in the Austen/Bronte period (I'm actually not sure if the time frames correspond, but its the same thing to me!). Anything set on a moor with distressed women is probably not my cup of tea. I've been told to read the Flashman books as an alternative from the epoch - on my list now.

I think the problem with sites like Facebook is that unless you are very careful, its easy to get sucked into one-off remarks on people's posts (especially if you have an amusing set of friends) and never pursue deeper conversations.
Peta31
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi i see you like Neil Gaiman have you ever read Terry Pratchett? He co wrote a book with Neil called Good Omens, great book! Terry is my all time favourite author (who i will be meeting in April at our Australian "Discworld" convention.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :)

I agree completely about Facebook. The conversations are shallow. Please look around our forums and make yourself at home. I have a feeling you have found the perfect discussion community. Now it's up to you to explore and take full advantage of all we have to offer.
gdale
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Lalouche. Welcome to the forum. Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere was an enjoyable read and I found The Graveyard Book to be entertaining. A number of years ago, I read Heinlein's Friday and Stranger in a Strange Land is on my to be read list. As far as science fiction, I have read most Isaac Asimov novels.
gdale
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Noticed you like comedies. Have you read any Christopher Moore? Last year I read the Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, which I thought was hilarious. The story revolves around somewhat ordinary people meeting the supernatural, sort of like the Everyman. Another of his novels, Practical Demonkeeping, is on my TBR list.
lalouche
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've read lots of Chris Moore, and in fact just finished the Lust Lizard about a month ago. I've read Neverwhere and lots of other Gaiman books. Heinlein - the best I have read so far is the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Much, much better than Starship troopers in my opinion...

Return to “Everything Else”