• In total there are 49 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Why did God allow New Orleans to be destroyed?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ADO15

Re: Re:

Unread post

OK, Mr P - I take your point. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Re:

Unread post

See...I am ok so long as people know when to let me growl myself to sleep. Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Accountability

Unread post

Chris OConnor Comments on Dissident Heart's postQuote: I think Chris'tirade against all-things-theistic, and specific vitriol contra Christianity, is something no Christian or Theist should avoid. I should also add, it is something no Humanist or Rationalist should avoid. If we choose to embrace Faith in the God of Love, then where the hell is this loving God when so much suffering takes place? Quote:What you see going back and forth between Dissident and me is exactly why I tend to stay out of these little discussions. There isn't a chance in hell I'm going to find words that will break through and make sense to him.I find this exchange fascinating. Dissident, I frequently find your posts too long and/or too far afield from my world-view to read carefully, but I found this one, to which Chris objects so strongly, insightful and worthwhile. I agree: it would be great if both Christians and non-Christians could both look at exactly why Christianity angers so many people, which is how I interpreted the gist. I don't get Chris' problem with "embrace Faith", either. Maybe I am misunderstanding but it seems meaningful to me, quite different from simply believing. It is the difference between, "yea, there's a god, dammit" and "I have faith... great, now what am I going to do about it?"Amazing how our conversations take off. I clicked on this thread expecting two, three posts at most! If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
raven of missouri

Re: Why did God allow New Orleans to be destroyed?

Unread post

That's interesting...You are so funny. In Love and Reason,Christian L. Ambrose
Keith and Company

Re: Why did God allow New Orleans to be destroyed?

Unread post

In answer to the OP, maybe because God felt there were too many christains running around the planet.Seriously, this looks like a good place to talk, if not about the skybeast, about The Faithful and their response.I noticed a conversation here that echoes many i've seen time and time again. For so many difficult questions, the Faithful just stop thinking about them. They decide that God must be beyond our understanding, so it's okay for him to stand idly by as suffering mounts. It's, uh, for a purpose. Sure.But as more and more information and images become available, more and more people seem to be stopping and thinking. And if the official answer is always that there is no answer, eventually people will be driven to finding answers on their own.And if the official answer is always that there is no answer, and you should be ashamed of even asking the question....

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”