• In total there are 68 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What is the best movie adaptation of a book you've ever seen? What is the worst.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Esoldra
Creative Writing Student

Re: What is the best movie adaptation of a book you've ever seen? What is the worst.

Unread post

The film version of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was practically word for word and an amazing depiction of the book.

Wuthering Heights always inspires the worst adaptations that end half way through the novel. Blade Runner was an awful adapation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep yet it still enters the 1001 films to watch whilst the book never makes the books you must read list.
lenabro
Getting Comfortable

Re: What is the best movie adaptation of a book you've ever seen? What is the worst.

Unread post

I Hate Dune, both book and film, but love David Lynch ...

Loved the book To Kill A Mocking Bird, so now I will have to see the film, and I blame this thread :-)

The best film version of a book must be Kubrick's The Shining, the Stephen King book is awful though.

The worst film version of a good book could be The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy,

What do you think?
Vishnu
Intern

Unread post

Hmmm... this is difficult to say, because I despise books of any kind turned into videos of any kind. They almost always disappoint(especially comic books turned movie and manga turned anime) But to be fair, by main criteria is accuracy to the book, so I could be considered a bit unreasonable.
There's too many worsts and no bests to choose from. But when setting aside comparison to the book, I will say that I really enjoyed the film No Country For Old Men.
And as for worst... well... pretty much every attempted adaptation of The Call of the Wild has been a fail.
Last edited by Vishnu on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

First, let me say that I am not a big fan of Westerns; however, I have read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry and own the mini-series. I believe they are both amazing. The length of the mini-series is 6 hours long which I have watched all the way through probably a dozen times!

I can't think of too many movie adaptations of a book in which I've seen both the movie and read the book, so I don't have much to offer.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Barry Lyndon is one of my all time favorite movies. Did not care as much for the book.

Gone with the Wind disappoints in the film in leaving out important sections but was such a standout film at the time that it satisfies visually.
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

I enjoyed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey as well as the movie. I think I liked the movie more.

Jean M. Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear is wonderful (as well as the other books of the Earth's Children series), but have only seen a clip of the movie. I've heard it was awful, but haven't seen it for myself.
suitefrancaise
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I rather enjoyed the recent adaptation of Atonement by Ian McEwan (with Joe Wright as director), but that could just be because it was so visually stunning and the score was fantastic. I didn't like who they cast for Cecilia, but the three Briony and James McAvoy for Robbie were well done.

Another one that I liked because of imaginative reinvention was Sleepy Hollow. I think a film does much better when it takes an idea from a piece of work and makes it into its own; it's usually impossible to make a loyal adaptation of a book into a film, because the two mediums are entirely different. Sleepy Hollow was excellent in this way in that they diverged into its own field.

There are too many worst adaptations to say - directors and screenwriters seem to forget that what might work well in a novel will not translate just as well onto screen. And it's especially awful when they expect the audience to all have read the book, leaving gaping holes we are meant to fill ourselves.
Garrethobrien92
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I remember seeing a adaptation of War and Peace and thought that the screenplay was magnificent, they got there characters spot on and the they didn't alter the plotline.Highly recommended for all tolstoy fan's. As for the worsed, its gotta be Catch-22( better if they the book as it was).
Luckybutton
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Of mice and men with Gary Senise was a fantastic adaptation, one of my faves.

Any Stephen King adapation is pretty much a guaranteed failure...Pet cemetery was atrocious.

Return to “Everything Else”