• In total there are 86 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 84 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Robby, who is interested in almost everything

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Robby, who is interested in almost everything

Unread post

Randall R. Young wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense if you found out what the topic was? Don't you think we can do algebra, too?
Excuse me Randall, Robby gave a simple question to which you gave what I at least, pardon my incapacity, found a convoluted and obscure answer. The topic can be taken at face value, unless you are talking in code. Robby said he hadn't thought of the proof. The proof is simple algebra. Thanks for the royal we.
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

Maybe you are correct, Robert. Upon reading Robby's post, it does appear that Robby is asking for algebra such as you provided. However, I am (was) under the impression that what Robby & I were discussing was the difference between discovery and invention in mathematics. But I fully understand that there'd be no way for you to know this, since the first half of the discussion was over at amazon.

(I'll try to lay back on the sarcasm, henceforth. Old habits die hard. I suppose, in this case, it stemmed from being accused of condescension.)

BTW, that wasn't a royal we. I meant, "Robby and I".
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

Robby wrote:Meanwhile I did not have a clue what THEY meant by inductive.
I am under the impression that in common usage, inductive reasoning means that you are taking a large number of observations of specific cases that concur, and drawing the conclusion that a general rule can be derived from these observations. Unfortunately, this procedure can never rise to the level of a mathematical proof, unless one can exhaustively examine all the cases there are, and find that they all obey the rule.

On this topic, we might want to review the paradox of the 99 foot tall man.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

By the way, how can I see the names of all the books being discussed?
On our Home page at http://www.booktalk.org/ at the top there is a section called "Current Book Discussions." Look there and it will all make sense. But if you want to see ALL books we have read as a group since the beginning of time check out our BOOKS page at http://www.booktalk.org/books.html. You can access this page at any time by clicking on "BOOKS" in the top green navigation bar found on all pages.
Robby
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

!!!
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Hi Robby, I hope the "almost everything" includes "almost everyone" too as I am not in anyway in the league of Randall or Robert intellectually. I find even reading their posts challenging but I plow ahead anyway hoping to grasp and gain meaning from something.

You sound like a very lively and interesting man who would be easy to talk to (?) and fun to listen to. What do you teach. . . I mean what is the focus of your courses? You may somewhat approach myself in age (while still distant enough to be my child almost. . . I am 76) most members here are younger.

I agree with lots of your opinions about art and film etc. African Queen is one of my favorites (Barry Lyndon holds the lead just now, but I recently saw "The Leopard" and that is a close second) I loved the "Orphanage" which came out a year or so ago. Mostly I like classical music, but also Idol and show tunes etc.

I am an atheist though. I have just recently become acquainted with a lot of Jewish women as I have learned to play Mah Jongg and it was taught at the Jewish community center. I don't freely share my atheistic viewpoint with others, that is one reason I love this book site so much.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

You call that a deductive proof? Here is a deductive proof.

n^2 = (n-1)^2 + (2n-1)
= n^2 -2n +1 + 2n -1
= n^2

"Big talk from someone with only ONE field's medal!"

I love it when mathmeticians talk trash...
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Welcome Robby!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robby
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

How do you post pictures on the screen? Or rather, how can I do it? I don't have any in mind right now, but I might later.

Thank you.

Hmmm. My other post is missing. Greetings to the Lady of Shallot. Why would you want to be her? She died young. It's too late for either you or I to do that.

To all atheists: OK by me. Whatever floats your boat. Just kindly refrain from bashing me for continuing to love Gd, and I'll refrain from bashing you for not doing so.

It's 3 am and I've got food poisoning so I'll have to wait until later to say more.

Yall have fun, and thanks for the math proofs.
Last edited by Robby on Wed May 04, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

LoL Johnson that was a good one....
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Everything Else”