• In total there are 62 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

After May 21st he will admit he made an error and is not sure where he went wrong with his math.

No votes
After May 21st he will admit an error but suddenly see his error and change the date so the waiting game can continue.

37%
After May 21st he will claim it HAS happened in a peculiar way that only him and select people can perceive.

16%
Before May 21, 2011 he will bump the date back after "discovering" a small error is his math.

11%
Harold is over 90 years old and probably won't live till May 21, 2011.

No votes
After May 21st Harold will take his own life in embarrassment or in an effort to create his own Rapture.

11%
After May 21st he will keep his mouth shut in embarrassment and give no explanations or excuses.

16%
Other - explain your prediction.

11%

Total votes: 19
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Please keep us posted on how your friend responds to May 21, 2011 coming and going without incident. We're getting close with about 38 days remaining. Maybe he'll shock you and this will be a turning point in his life.
He'll be pretty embarrased for sure. Maybe he'll go down to the beach on the 21st and spend the day there. He's been trying to preach this rapture date to the surfing community for long time. I intend to come down hard and swift with the comparative mythology and religion explanaions for why the rapture didn't happen and why Noah's flood and the Garden of Eden can never be assigned to any particular historical period in order count down to a rapture date...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

Harold on May 1, 2011.
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

I am not surprised that some people believe this idiot. After all, stupidity is one of the 5 forces of nature. In fact, I think it is stronger that the strong force, and its range appears infinite, to boot!

And hey, at least he allows for an earth that is 13K old! That's progress, right? A few more doublings of Ussher, and he'll be able to account for stalactite or a fossil!
Last edited by Randall R. Young on Fri May 06, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

What's going to be his sermon on May 22?
-Geo
Question everything
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

It's going to be an interesting Sunday around the Camping household, I suspect.
Last edited by Randall R. Young on Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rap

Unread post

As Adam Sandler used to say, "...f@$ck me in the goat ass." lol

It's difficult to listen to the video sermon all the way through. The jackass has crafted a 13,000 year old YEC which his entire system of rapture dating rests upon, yet another castle built upon the sand to add to the ranks of Christianity. The whole thing is built on the sand foundation of assuming that this mythological book of stories is historical in the first place - that such a person as described in the gospels ever existed to begin with - and then all of these denominations, sects, and cults span out from the original folly. Just look at how many errors it takes to get from mere Christianity to what Camping has constructed out the mythology...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Mon May 09, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Perhaps it is the music that did it to me but I really feel a sense of sadness for Harold Camping and his followers. It has always been hard for me to watch mature adults suffering from religious delusions. Their heart is usually in the right place. All they want is some sort of meaning to their seemingly trivial existences and people like Harold deliver. It will be sad to see all the disappointment on May 22. I genuinely feel bad for deluded people.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

In hindsight perhaps many will look back and say to themselves, "yeah, the whole thing was pretty stupid to begin with when you really think about it. I can't believe that I actually bought into something like that in the first place..."

Then a repeat of the same inner dialogue on December 22 2012...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Many might have such thoughts. But others will get that sick feeling of utter despair and helplessness when they realize the rescue they were counting on simply isn't coming. Imagine the joy in "knowing" you're about to meet God and Jesus and all your deceased loved ones and then image that glorious "reality" is yanked away from you all at once.

I just feel bad for them. I haven't heard many arrogant or mean-spirited Harold Camping followers. They're just deluded much the same as all theists and Christians are deluded. But with this Harold Camping group they're going to have to face the reality that it is all bullshit. Theists and Christians get to live in ignorance expecting wonderful things after death. They escape the pain of facing reality. These Harold Camping people are about to get a dose of pain because they chose to believe something more tangible and falsifiable. Any time I see someone hurting I feel bad.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Connected to the video that you posted Chris, is another video where Camping believed the rapture would happen in 1994. Didn't happen. When I hear things like this, I can't help but think money. Is Camping making money off of this, if so, it doesn't matter if it happens or not. Money can abate embarrassment. Then again, his kookiness may be priceless to him.

What really strikes me about this video and what Camping claims is that it does not make him sad in anyway. He smiles, he thinks it is a good thing. Does he have grandchildren? If I were to believe this to be true, I would be mad as hell!!! There are wonderful things and experiences to be enjoyed on this earth. The thought of my children in essence dying without experiencing maturity and travel, education and a life of their own, and children of their own would truly make me mad! What is the purpose of living a caring and compasionate life if it is going to be taken away from you? I now have a greater appreciation for the question; "what is the purpose of life". Does Camping believe that life on Earth is useless and unimportant? I'm having a really hard time trying to understand Camping's need to act in this way.

Camping does not understand the anxiety that may be triggered within his followers. This must be devastating to many. I agree with you Chris, what Camping is saying could produce undue panic in many people. But, I cannot help to believe that most Christians do not believe this rapture is going to happen. I may not have belief in God, but I have to have belief in people, and I will not allow myself to believe that most Christians except this nonsense.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”