• In total there are 90 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 85 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Kindle or Nook?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Kindle or Nook?

Unread post

MrsBear87 wrote:My question is why the stupid names? Nook sounds a little too much like an intimate body part, and Kindle sounds like a German name for your relatives. Maybe that's my fuddy-dud side showing...
:lol:

Nook, sounds like a comfy window seat with lots of pillows to settle into durring a snow storm, with hot chocolate!!!

Kindle, hmm, "German name for you relatives", yeah, you may be right there.

I have a Pandigital Novel, great color, gives me access to my email, facebook and the web. I have thousands of free books at my finger tips and I have to say, I am addicted to it! Never thought I would like an e reader, but as a reader, I am very pleased to be able to download free books and shop for low cost books.

If you enjoy classic, public domain books, you got to get yourself either a comfy chair, or a German relative, because there is nothing like compiling a library you can visit anytime you want!
jkkidman
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I will choose Kindle for sure..because you brought it anywhere plus its very convenience to use.
skybluepink
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I have a pandigital novel. Its has the barnes & noble app on it. So basically its a nook.

I love it. I love being able to carry a ton of books with me at any time. I also love that I can increase the font size.

I'm sure we've all had a book we really wanted to read only to find its printed in a font that is so small its hard to read.

I also love having apps as well. My screen is 7 inches.
Last edited by skybluepink on Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I have not yet converted to the Nook, so I cannot really advocate for it over the kindle, but the screen resolution on Amazon's device doesn't hurt my eyes. PC/Nook screen resolution does.

My device is an older generation, however. Battery only lasts a week, and I did not catch it at the lowest price, maybe second lowest. Spent a small fortune on the files I have, and I am trying to slow down until I make some sales. The technology definitely would have helped when I was a student, that's a given!
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
bookworm86
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've had a nook for nearly a year, and I love it. As I say, have nook, will travel. I still read the normal book, but I find the nook MUCH easier for traveling.
"Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly."
- Cornelia Funke.

Currently Reading:
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Just Finished:
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I just got my Kindle a month ago, and I love it! I have wanted one since they were $369 and when it came down to $139 I couldn't wait any more. The thing that I find to be a problem for the Kindle would also be a problem for the Nook and that is being able to download a book on any whim, from just about anywhere. I now have about 14 more books than I can probably read in the next few months.... I am so glad I got it though. I have nothing negative to say about the Nook, I wanted the voice feature and Nook didn't have that, but when I tried it on my Kindle...well.....it kind of sucks anyway....
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

I have resisted electronic books, holding fast to old-fashioned paper and dog-earred used books. A co-worker has a new Nook Color, though, and I might just convert. It has open WiFi, and she can e-mail. She also download pictures. It costs about $250. I like that B&N is local, so I can actually purchase from the store. Once a couple of bills are paid I just might treat myself.
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

If I may suggest, Murrill, it is the convenience that frays the purse, regardless of model, and there are a number now. Who needs to power chair to library when increasingly it is point, click, possess? I would guesstimate that I am near to or over 600 texts on the device, many of those for no charge, but the good files are pricey. Like you though, I love the pleasure of browsing.
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

Jozanny, I am all for convenience, and I find that technology I previously resisted becomes delightful. When I mentioned that I can just walk into a B&N for purchase I was referring to making my Nook purchase, rather than buying a device on-line. I suspect it is the wave of the future. Someone told me that they still go into bookstores to browse, but then they purchases on books. Thanks for the feedback.
ValsBooks
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I have just ordered my Kindle and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. But as an author, I must say...publishing on Amazon for Kindle only takes a few minutes but for Nook I go through a distributor, and that takes several weeks. My latest, Silent Russian, is already available for Kindle users to download. Nook won't see it for at least two more weeks. Check out Silent Russian on Amazon, it's a fantastic murder mystery/thriller that takes place in Chicago 1968.

Valerie

Return to “Everything Else”