• In total there are 78 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Kindle or Nook?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Re: Kindle or Nook?

Unread post

Valerie,

I am putting together my published non-fiction for a kindle collection, but what is slowing me down, aside from keeping my blog active, is I am a little too old school to believe I should have a direct relationship to my audience, and I am hoping to publish it through a press I already contacted about creating the AZW kindle file for me. I worry I am a little too flat foot, but thus I've always been.

Hopefully before the year is out I will be in the wolf pack...
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
ValsBooks
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Hang in there Jozanny! Your belief in direct relationship with your audience is the way to go. According to a study done by Bowker, the least effective way to get people to buy your books is through a blog or author website, though it's a growing area, it's still very small in the market share. Most of the sales I've made for my work, Wiretap, Silent Russian and Einstein the Destroyer have been face-to-face contact.

Have an amazing day today,

Valerie
Tonya1000
Master Debater

Unread post

I have a nook and love it
Canadian_Sailor
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I own both a kindle and an iPad and the iPad wins hands down. Any tablet will give you better options and the ability to shop around. You can run the kindle app beside kobo app while using calibre if you want. My biggest complaint about the kindle was the constant charges for every thing.
Dave The Marine
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I have had my nook for over a year. I haven't had any problems with it or Barnes and Noble. My local store is very helpful. I don't know where they are now on number of titles, but I haven't had a problem getting almost anything I have wanted on it. I think they are fairly even and at the end of the day its a personal prefrence. I like being able to take it to my local B&N and get help there, and they have always been very helpful, my local store even had a class once a month (not sure if they still do but believe so) to help new nook owners learn all the ins and outs of the system. Good luck, either choice I am sure will please you they are both good readers (I have friends who have the kindle) that 50 buck gift certificate would decide for me ... I am cheap what can I say.
Yozhick
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

To be honest you should go with the Sony Reader...battery life is better and with Calibre software available on line you can read any format of ebook. Plus they don't change a fee for downloading...the Kindle charges a fee even for free books. I love my Sony Reader! I have a couple of thousand ebooks and wouldn't trade my Sony for any other brand.
aracelip7
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

kindle <3
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Is Kindle DX (which wasn't updated with the Kindles) the only e-ink reader with a big screen?
Last edited by Dexter on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeMo
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Neither. Book. I love the feel, the smell, the sensation a book gives me. I love the excitement of browsing in bookshops, finding old stuff out of print for decades. A book is more than the words it contains, it is an individual object which cannot be satisfactorily broken down into its components.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Yozhick - I've never been charged for downloading free books on my Kindle. Maybe US is different to UK?
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Everything Else”