• In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Does the lack of a happy ending ruin an otherwise good book?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
bookworm19
Getting Comfortable

Re: Does the lack of a happy ending ruin an otherwise good book?

Unread post

It is interesting to consider the way a happy ending concludes a book, it is also in the same sense interesting to consider how a huge twist can change the way a reader feels at the end of a book. I have always thought that when a book ends with a happy ending it is successful and I was never a fan of a big twist to finish off a book. But then this past month I read Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried" and I completely changed my mind.

In the end of O'Brien's book he confesses that the stories he has confided in the reader are almost completely lies. He was a foot soldier during Vietnam but he did not experience nor meet anyone who experienced the things he wrote about. I found myself thinking, and even asking my class, does that make his book any less successful? Are the hauntings he experiences througout the book cheapened by the idea that he himself did not kill any men? Do we not still feel completely connected to the characters? Does it matter that the events are made up?

I think that his book is amazing and I still find myself thinking back on the characters and the things they experienced. I made connections with characters that I was under the impression were real, and when I realized they were fictional I was shocked initially. And then I realized that the ending of this particular book did not take anything away from the experience I had while reading it!
AndiSGraham
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

No, I don't think that an unhappy ending ruins a good book. Sometimes a tragedy makes a story that much better, and sometimes I find that a happy ending that doesn't feel right leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And sometimes, bittersweet is just enough.
When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. - Tony McCollum
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

Although I am not prepared to deal with the specific details at this moment, I actually think Dickens' original ending for Great Expectations makes it one of his greatest novels, and he was wrong to take the advice from his friends to change it.
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I think that the ending has to be a good place to stop. Happy sad or tragic works for me. Although like most, I like a happy ending. Sometimes you would have to ruin a perfectly good story to make the ending happy.

In one series of books I read book two was apparently supposed to be the end, but it was too much material for a single book so they split it into books two and three. Usually I am not so discerning a reader to notice, but in this case it was almost like they just picked the end of the sentence closest to the middle...THAT ruined that book for me and I almost didn't read the third book.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

For me a happy ending is what usually ruins a book. I think: "And that's it? Come on, it can't be THAT simple!?!"
I like open endings, as they leave more room for imagination.
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
magicjarpublishing
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

To me it's not really about whether the ending is happy or sad, but if it feels right. Sometimes a story feels like it should end on a positive note, but other times I can see where it makes more sense for the story to end in a sad way. It's all situational. As long as the ending feels like it fits with the rest of the book, happy or sad it's fine.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Not for me. To be frank I often get bored of happy endings, I feel unhappy endings gives us that surprise that makes the book a more overwhelming reading experience.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I don't read enough fiction to have much of an answer to this question, but I suppose every story cannot and should not end on a positive note. All I expect in a great novel is some form of closure to the story. Unanswered questions are OK, but a great story should have a certain feeling that the end has been reached - at least for now - or until a sequel is out.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

EndlessLaymon wrote:Not for me. To be frank I often get bored of happy endings, I feel unhappy endings gives us that surprise that makes the book a more overwhelming reading experience.
THANK YOU! My point exactly :)
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
berry
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I like happy ends. Or, at least, if the end is not happy, I need a hope.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”