• In total there are 4 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

After May 21st he will admit he made an error and is not sure where he went wrong with his math.

No votes
After May 21st he will admit an error but suddenly see his error and change the date so the waiting game can continue.

37%
After May 21st he will claim it HAS happened in a peculiar way that only him and select people can perceive.

16%
Before May 21, 2011 he will bump the date back after "discovering" a small error is his math.

11%
Harold is over 90 years old and probably won't live till May 21, 2011.

No votes
After May 21st Harold will take his own life in embarrassment or in an effort to create his own Rapture.

11%
After May 21st he will keep his mouth shut in embarrassment and give no explanations or excuses.

16%
Other - explain your prediction.

11%

Total votes: 19
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

Nothing from Camping that I can find yet, but here's a news feed about the failed rapture from this morning:

http://www.5newsonline.com/news/kfsm-ju ... ?track=rss
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: What will Harold Camping say after May 21, 2011 when the Rapture doesn't occur?

Unread post

The NMAtv folks in Taiwan took a shot at explaining this to us.

Responsible for all those interesting 3-d news videos.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedd ... jjkk4n0o4k
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

So far this 16% vote option prevails:
After May 21st he will keep his mouth shut in embarrassment and give no explanations or excuses.
I'd love to see Camping sat down in front of one of these interviews where he claims that absolutely the rapture would happen on the 21st. What could he say to that aside from giving no response or admitting that he was absolutely wrong?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think it is inevitable that Harold will speak out on this matter. More than likely we'll see a YouTube video within the next week with a lame ass excuse for why the Rapture didn't materialize. Will the excuse be one from our list or something completely out of the blue? Only time will tell.

Another possible response that Harold could give is that God recently spoke to him in a dream and told Harold that he changed his mind. God could have told Harold, the Chosen One (TM), that due to Harold's efforts the Rapture was no longer deemed necessary. Or because of Harold's incredible detective work the Rapture date just HAD to be moved to keep people on their toes.

No matter what Harold says there will be ignorant followers that just follow along like brainless Lemmings. There are books on this subject, but I think it is well accepted that our species is composed of primarily followers and few leaders. It is essential for our survival that we aren't all critical thinkers analyzing every single word or action of our leaders. Nothing would get done, chaos would ensue, and our cultural evolution would be impossible. Harold Camping's minions are the followers of society. Their brains are not all their own. I don't say this with contempt or blame, because these people are only living out the destinies their genes wrote for them.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

He's retired. You've seen the investment commercials. He asked his financial adviser at what date he would be rich enough to retire comfortably... to achieve his "number". The date was the one mentioned. That's all. He's done.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Are any of his followers making any comments?
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Damn, where's a good rapture when you need it? I spent a 1/2 hour standing in a line at the grocery store on Sat. The rapture would have been useful! Maybe the store was so busy because people wanted to get their last supper.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

My son and law called my daughter and said he and their son were there and where was she? And then said "oh. . . "
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Camping caught on tape Sunday (at the bottom of the page):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... -didnt-end

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”