• In total there are 41 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Good sci-fi novels.

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Wine and Books
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Good sci-fi novels.

Unread post

I am always partial to the classics and have tried to bring more sci fi into my reading. A few I have enjoyed recently were Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells and The Land Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I have also recently read Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. As with most movies the book is nothing like the movie, and the book was actually quite interesting to me, very philosophic if you like that kind of thing.
A good book is only made better with a glass of wine........
_Prox
Official Newbie!

Unread post

For cyberpunk, check out Snow Crash by Neal Stepheson and Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neromancer more or less codified the style, and Snow Crash perfected it.

For space fiction, I'd recommend Frank Herbert's Dune even though it's mostly set on one planet. Lots of political intrigue and well thought out technology. If you want something with a bit more action, check out Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I didn't read Dune but I watched the movie and TV mini-series. The TV series was absolutely amazing.
Richard Kane
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi Endless,

I just finished The Day Time was Hacked. amazon.com/Day-Time-was-Hacked-ebook/dp ... B00375LIF6. I could stop reading, into the late hours.

Got many 5-star reviews, and I understand why: it's one of those unknown novels you rarely see.

Hope you'll like it!

Richard.
lenabro
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Don't read Dune, I've tried several times and lost the battle each time.
Andrez

Unread post

lenabro wrote:Don't read Dune, I've tried several times and lost the battle each time.
I think the first one is great, but Herbert lost me on the sequels. Then again,I read them in high school, so my taste may've changed a wee bit... ;)
Andrez

Unread post

New one: Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat. Noir/sci-fi/dystopian tale with a sense of humour... but I'm very, very biased.
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I like hard science fiction and couldn't put Stephen Baxter's Ark down, although I probably should have read Flood first, to put all the threads together. I am hard to please, however, and the satire has to be a cut above the norm for me to care; not huge on space opera, but give Philip K. Dick a pass, and Vonnegut is an exception to anyone's rule, and I weep over Mitchell's skill in merging post modern techniques with futurist concerns, but he is a very difficult writer and not for the faint hearted. I am reading Containment right now, which is influenced by Asimov, but the author is no Baxter, and I just started Soul Identity. I have not yet found a contemporary woman who can hold a candle to Doris Lessing, unfortunately. Connie Willis falls flat and Elizabeth Moon is heavy on technical specifications but to what end I could not say.

Edit: Let me augment giving Dick a pass: He is a sloppy writer but his themes transcend his flaws. Electric Sheep and Blade Runner are cut from the same cloth but have much different subtexts. If anyone would ever like a discussion on these and Dick count me in!

(I edit myself a great deal :) )
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
BookSpyGal
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I LOVE sci fi. Here is my list of books to start with:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - I was actually pissed off that no one told me about this book until I was 26
The Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov - A classic
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut - One of my all time favorite books
Dune - Get your hard core sci-fi badge!

EDIT: Saw one post up Phillip K. Dick. Start with Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Sure. Do Androids is a fine place to start.

hrm... to answer the original question, and since I've just recommended it and unrecommended it in another thread I'll mention here The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”