• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Other Bolyn Girl

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Sprezzatura
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Other Bolyn Girl

Unread post

I still haven't read The Other Bolyn Girl, though people keep encouraging me to since I teach Tudor literature. Maybe it should go on the summer reading list. One of the historical fiction writers I enjoy is Tracy Chevalier. She's best known for her Girl With a Pearl Earring, but she's written some other interesting ones as well. The most recent one I read, called The Lady and the Unicorn was based on the production of the famous Medieval Unicorn Tapestries, now in the Cluny in France and I had the unique opportunity to read it just before seeing the tapestries themselves (which are gorgeous!). She always does solid historical research as well as spinning an entertaining story.
Bobcat10
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I don't know how solid the research is, but I really enjoyed The Other Boleyn girl. It's full of sex, intrigue, betrayal... I guess the usual stuff for a book about historical royals. I've read several other books by Philippa Gregory as well, and I liked them all. They're good summer guilty pleasure books.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

From what I've heard, it's not very historically accurate.. but it is an entertaining read. I recommend "Fallen Skies" by the same author. :)
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

anthem1 wrote:

This is definitely one of my all-time favorite pieces of historical fiction. I discovered historical fiction by Jean Plaidy, but my personal favorite author in this genre is Margaret George. (During some research, I discovered Jean Plaidy is a pen name for Victoria Holt whom writes gothic romance.) George wrote a book about Henry VIII, but I haven't read that one. I loved her novels Cleopatra and Mary, Queen of Scots. They are excellent and I totally recommend them
May I recommend to you; Lozania Prole:

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/lozania-prole~6024.htm

Ursula Bloom; actually.....I became enthralled by Historical fiction....via this author....about 30 years ago.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “What are you currently reading?”