• In total there are 35 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are your favorite science books?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

What are your favorite science books?

Unread post

Always looking for a good science read (that's summer reading to me).

A few that are sitting on my bookshelf that I really liked:

Richard Wolfson, Simply Einstein
James Gleick, Genius (Feynman biography)
Kip Thorne, Black Holes & Time Warps
William Dunham, Journey Through Genius
Simon Singh, Fermat's Enigma
Jerry Coyne, Why Evolution is True
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Re: What are your favorite science books?

Unread post

This is a bit dated, I'm afraid, but The Human Animal by Desmond Morris had a huge impact on me in university. (My memory seems to have skewed the dates, but no matter, his theories launched my interest in how anthropology and evolution conjoin.)
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Cosmos by Carl Sagan and probably the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I really loved "A Brief history of Time" and "On the Shoulders of Giants" which is a selection of works from many influencial scientists.

I got a kick out of "the Pluto Files" as well.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

My favorite is Rare Earth - Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe by Ward and Brownlee.

I'm now reading an oldy but a goody - The Dawn of Astronomy: A study of the temple-worship and mythology of the ancient Egyptians by Sir Norman Lockyer. He was the founder of the scientific journal Nature and the discoverer of helium. His work on ancient astronomy was highly rigorous, but scientific interest in this topic has waned in more recent times.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charityjones89
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm a huge physics nerd so I love The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene (I'm pretty sure that's how you spell his name).

I also really like Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman, which is not a science book but is a physics inspired volume of poetry. Yep...that's right...physics poetry. It's just as strange and awesome as it sounds :)
I just started a new blog. It's going to be mostly foodie stuff and book reviews with other geekitude thrown in. http://opinionatedgeekery.blogspot.com
hgtrangtran

Unread post

I love A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
Alfred Armstrong
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Where does the Weirdness Go? by David Lindley: a valiant attempt to explain some of the puzzles of quantum physics, and The Arrow of Time by Coveney and Highfield, which does a comparable job for the concept of time. Both these demand some work on the part of the reader, which is part of the appeal.

Oh, and Feynmann's little book on QED is also brilliant.

If you want something a little easier, practically any book by Carl Sagan passes muster. Superbly well-written, informed and enthusiastic. Broca's Brain is a personal favourite.

Return to “Science & Technology”