• In total there are 28 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Worst Books You've Ever Read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
BelleS
Getting Comfortable

Re: Worst Books You've Ever Read

Unread post

After my grandmother's eye surgery I spent some time each night reading to her. Her favourite book was Little Lord Fauntleroy. Truly dire!
charityjones89
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

That I've finished? Tortilla Flat by Steinbeck. I'm reading one now called Jabberwocky that may just replace it though.
I just started a new blog. It's going to be mostly foodie stuff and book reviews with other geekitude thrown in. http://opinionatedgeekery.blogspot.com
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Aqueda_Veronica wrote:Ok, gotta come clean and say it out loud: I absolutely HATED "Scarlett letter" and "Catcher in the rye". Ugh, what a pain to go through! The only reason I did eventually finish them both off is because they were on my assigned reading list back in school.
I just read Scarlett Letter for the first time. I loved it. It just goes to show that mandatory reading doesn't usually instill a love for reading. Try these books when you get older and you might have a different opinion.
-Geo
Question everything
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

geo wrote:I just read Scarlett Letter for the first time. I loved it. It just goes to show that mandatory reading doesn't usually instill a love for reading. Try these books when you get older and you might have a different opinion.
It's not just that they were mandatory reads.
Scarlet Letter - I could not for the life of me relate to the character, era or social situation at all. So what if she cheated on her husband with the priest? Who cares? :P
Catcher in the Rye - the main character was not rebellious or courageous, but just plain winy. As simple as that so give me a break! :P

charityjones89 wrote:That I've finished? Tortilla Flat by Steinbeck. I'm reading one now called Jabberwocky that may just replace it though.
Oh come on, Tortilla Flat was so amazingly awesome :) The irony, humor and the whole setting of a village in the middle of nowhere was brilliant if I do say so myself.
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
wokattack
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The first installment of 'Twilight' wins hands down...though maybe it's because I'm not a teenage girl or a mother from the bible belt?

Then again I have to come clean and admit to reading every volume of the Black Beauty series, which really confused my parents as it turned out I was neither gay nor wanted a horse.

So it's probably the Twilight book!

Baffling for me is the fact that Kafka's 'The Process' has defeated me every time I've tried to read it. And that numbers seven attempts.

I love 'The Verdict' and 'The Castle', but just don't seem to be able to get more than 50 pages into 'The Process'.
An eclectic mix of interests and comments: http://thatthereengland.wordpress.com
brihanylo
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Saving Emily by Becky Wilde was so bad it had me wanting to break my computer and slam my head against the wall just to get the words out of my head.
It was written so poorly, like something you read in a first grader book.
Example.
Jimmy walked into class and sat down.
Jimmy hurt his foot and cried.
Jimmy walked into the house and fell down the steps then got up and went to his room..

There was no real umpf to the story. No real explanation of the characters, the details all but gone.. Geeze. I normally like her books..
Jupiter
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen (which I did not finish) and A Painted House (which I did finish.)

Great topic, btw!
BretAM5
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Jupiter wrote:The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen (which I did not finish) and A Painted House (which I did finish.)

Great topic, btw!
Now you've got me curious....

I had heard good things about The Corrections, though I haven't read it yet. Why did you find it to be so bad?
"As far as I'm concerned, the entire reason for becoming a writer is not having to get up in the morning." -Neil Gaiman

Check out my fiction blog/online notebook, Watch Your Eyes
Jupiter
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

BretAM5 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen (which I did not finish) and A Painted House (which I did finish.)

Great topic, btw!
Now you've got me curious....

I had heard good things about The Corrections, though I haven't read it yet. Why did you find it to be so bad?
To be honest, it's been awhile, because it was when the book first came out. I remember being disappointed because I paid over $20 for the hardcover and I hated it.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I've done that with authors too. I love most of Beryl Bainbridge, especially 'The Bottle Factory Outing' and I loved 'A Clockwork Orange' but have been soooo disappointed with other Anthony Burgess novels, and one or two of Beryl's too have seemed dire.

I think it might be the mood we're in at the time of reading.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Everything Else”