• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

First Book You Ever read.

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
sherri
Official Newbie!

Re: First Book You Ever read.

Unread post

The first books I ever read were the "Babysitters Club" books by Ann Martin. My Uncle bought me the first two in the series for Christmas when I was 11 and I read them all. The first adult book I can remember reading was "Flowers in the Attic" by V.C Andrews. I am not such a fan anymore since Andrew Neiderman is writing them. They are getting kind of stupid.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

This is a great but tough question. I've been an avid reader all my life so remembering when I started reading actual books is difficult.

I do know I read some of these books in the beginning...

For the love of Benji
Escape to With Mountain
Snowbound
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
James and the Giant Peach

There are a bunch of books I read when I was about 7 - 8 years old but I cannot remember the names. Once was about a bunch of kids who thought that lady that lived in the big scary house at the end of the street was a witch. I really wish I could remember that book name!

Oh, and then Bicycles North was great.

All of the Danny Dunn books were awesome as a child.

And I think I read just about all of the Hardy Boys books.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

What a bummer. I just went to Amazon.com to see how much some of these books I just mentioned cost for my Kindle. I love re-reading books from my childhood. "Escape to With Mountain" is $14.95! Come on. That is ridiculous for a kids book decades old in eBook format. Snowbound is $9.99 - still too much for a short eBook. I really don't like seeing the direction eBook prices are going.
Pegasus796
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I think it was called, "The Napping House." I was able to meet the authors and have them sign it for me. Very cute book that involved various critters joining Grandma in her bed until a flea plops on the cat on top and causes all of them to jump and break the bed. I'm pretty sure this is my first because I memorized it before I finally learned to read the words. The other one would be "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything" :D
Last edited by Pegasus796 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsKGass
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The first book I ever read, all on my own, was Rumpelstiltskin, the year before I ventured into Kindergarten. I remember loving that book and being so proud that I could read my favorite book to myself and not be dependent on another person to have it read to me. Great topic for discussion!
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

This makes me realize just how poor my memory is of early life. I cannot remember much of anything that happened before five and I don't really remember learning to read. I know that in perhaps grade one or two I was pretty proud that I was the only one reading a 'novel' (I think it was called The Little Prince, but have no idea what it was about) while the other kids were reading picture books. As far back as I can remember, I have always loved to read.
Cherrybear13
Getting Comfortable

First Book You Ever read.

Unread post

Other than simple learning books, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I read this one first, then went backwards and read the Magicians Nephew. These were some good early on reading books.
Kurt Eichenwald
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm not sure which was the first, but I remember the first that I reread over and over.

One was a book of short stories called "Once the Hodja."

The second was "A Wrinkle in Time."
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I was 7 years old when I read The adventures of Thomas Sawyer. It was fantastic reading for me then . I never forget that :-)
chancew1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

At about five I remember my mother reading to me from a hardback and I would follow along in a paperback. I pretty much learned to read that way and was bored when we did "Dick and Jane" readers in school.

Unfortunately, she read "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" by Poe along with me - which has seriously warped me for the rest of my life.
Later,
Bill

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
My Blog, Things Are Not Going to Turn Out Well
http://billchance.org

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”