• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

I am reading "Absalom, Absalom" I think it is the most difficult book I have ever read. Also not very good, but great word use. It's taking me a while as I only read it just before lights out!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Lady! Nice to see you again :)
lady of shallot wrote:I am reading "Absalom, Absalom" I think it is the most difficult book I have ever read. Also not very good, but great word use. It's taking me a while as I only read it just before lights out!
:lol: I'll remember this one for my next bout of insomnia.

I seem to be going in the opposite direction, I'm craving light and fun. I just started, "The Dark Tower" series, Stephen King. Not my typical read, but it is serving it's purpose.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I'm with you Suzanne .. i'm reading a Stephanie Plum novel, Sizzling Seventeen ... light, silly perhaps, maybe even fluffy .. requires limited brain power and concentration and that suits me just fine right now.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
I seem to be going in the opposite direction, I'm craving light and fun. I just started, "The Dark Tower" series, Stephen King. Not my typical read, but it is serving it's purpose.
Hi Suzanne,

Interestingly enough, I just finished the first 'Tower' book myself. I'm not abashed to admit that I always enjoy King's writing. This one is quite different from his usual stuff; the writing is sparse and in a way reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Apparently the 'Tower' series was inspired by the Browning poem, Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Came.

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl- ... childe.htm

Now reading King Rat by China Mieville.
-Geo
Question everything
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

"A Good Hard Look" a new novel by Ann Napolitano. Somewhat along the lines of "The Help" Fun, light, summer reading.
Kurt Eichenwald
Official Newbie!

Unread post

David McCullough's new book, The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris. Not too far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Kurt Eichenwald
Official Newbie!

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:I am reading "Absalom, Absalom" I think it is the most difficult book I have ever read. Also not very good, but great word use. It's taking me a while as I only read it just before lights out!
Great book. For your next Faulkner challenge, try "The Sound and The Fury." I had to read it three times before I even just began to understand it.
tonywalt

Unread post

biography of jd salinger by kenneth slawenski
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I need a good easy summer read. The last book I read, The Sudden Weight of Snow, took me over two weeks to get through and the book was depresssing and disappointing. I've tried three more and not got past a couple pages and given up. I am just not finding what I want at this moment, something with romance, but not a 'romance', something surprising, not too challenging, something light, crisp, new and delicious. Any suggestions out there?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Have you read, Possession, A.S. Byatt? This may interest you.
Winner of England’s Booker Prize and the literary sensation of the year, Possession is an exhilarating novel of wit and romance, at once an intellectual mystery and triumphant love story. It is the tale of a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets. As they uncover their letters, journals, and poems, and track their movements from London to Yorkshire—from spiritualist séances to the fairy-haunted far west of Brittany—what emerges is an extraordinary counterpoint of passions and ideas.

An exhilarating novel of wit and romance, an intellectual mystery, and a triumphant love story. This tale of a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets became a huge bookseller favorite, and then on to national bestellerdom.
http://www.amazon.com/Possession-S-Byat ... 79735909#_

Return to “What are you currently reading?”