• In total there are 8 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Is Jesus God?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Is Jesus God?

Unread post

18 And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone

That means that Jesus didn't name himself as God.I wonder whose idea was to call Jesus God?
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Is Jesus God?

Unread post

pretty much the same people who invented God and Jesus. Mythological thinking comes from the same well.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Since God cannot have intercourse with a human female, and cannot impregnate a human female, God created Jesus from himself. Jesus does not have a mother, Jesus is a part of God, therefore, Jesus is God.

This is how it was explained to me by a catholic nun anyway.
Vishnu
Intern

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:Since God cannot ... and cannot...
Ah, so they admit that god is not omnipotent then.
Vishnu
Intern

Unread post

v_serkov wrote:I wonder whose idea was to call Jesus God?
This probably stems from how people interpreted John 10:30-34
30 I and my Father are one.

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
And interesting line at the end there. So if this IS supposed to be taken to mean that Jesus is god, then by Jesus's own words(well, he's quoting Psalms actually), we are ALL gods as well. :D
Stuart Mason
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Jesus was the Word(Logos).
John 1:1-14 wrote: [1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
[2] The same was in the beginning with God.
[3] All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
[4] In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
[5] And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
[6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
[7] The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
[8] He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
[9] That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
[10] He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
[11] He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
[12] But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
[13] Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
[14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
GodsBeforeHim.com
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

The words of this nun conflicts with the dogma about pure conception.Who is holy Mary then?
As far as I know Chtistians call her mother of God.Moreover , as church says that Mary concieved by
the holy spirit,which is the same as God (the concept of the holy trinity).And how can we
interpret Jesus's words: "I'm not good ,because God is good alone" Doesn't that mean that Jesus
was saying about himself like not about God? .Or we can just miss these words and say,
Oh, it's not so important for our faith like priests do when I ask them something.
I also wonder how do they know what God can or cannot do .Does religious philosophy tell them?
But it's just philosophy nor more nor less
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

well... "Jesus" couldn't have been "the word" because that word didn't exist 14.7* billion years ago.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

They just do not know themselves how else to call Jesus
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ… but ya doesn’t hafta call me Johnson
Bill Saluga

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”