• In total there are 16 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

On holding one's beliefs at arm's length

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: On holding one's beliefs at arm's length

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
DWill wrote:
geo wrote: I'm still reading Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things (nice short title) and I'm really liking it. I'd love to hear about The Believing Brain.
I remember enjoying that book quite a number of years ago, but don't recall it distinctly. I hope you'll both give us some of the gist.
You must be remembering a different book. This one was published May 2011.
I'm interested in hearing more about these books too.
geo wrote:In critical thinking parlance, we often talk about holding one's beliefs at arm's length. All this means is don't get too attached to any position because contrary evidence may come along that goes against it. Our brains are sort of wired to look for things that support our beliefs and to not look at those that work against our beliefs. We can easily get emotionally attached to a position and put our blinders on as a result.

Of course, not all beliefs are equal. As Scottish philosopher David Hume said, we should apportion our beliefs based on the evidence.

I've always liked this blog about castles and tents. It's worth a read.

http://thethinkerblog.com/?p=9479
Thanks for that - I did check out the castles and tents blog, very interesting. I think my interpretation of the expression "arms length' was more like the term 'arms length transaction' and so this interpretation might imply a greater degree of seperation of belief than the critical thinking usage. I think your level of attachment to your beliefs may be quite a significant factor in determining who you are, how you think and how you interact with others and within society. I get the arms length idea but I'm wondering about how one untangles beliefs from all the rest of one's thinking in order to achieve this?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:We had the pleasure of meeting John Cleese and having him sign our book on Fawlty Towers. My favorites are the ones about the rat and where he hits the car with the branch. But they are all good.

Right now we are also fans of 30 Rock. Each line is a gem and you have to really pay attention.
John Cleese has to be one of the funniest men alive. His role in Fawlty Towers and A Fish Called Wanda remind me of a series of business education videos he did, particularly the ones on 'customer service'. I don't know how he came to make those videos but they are quite good, if very low production values. And apparently he does know quite a bit about customer service, in addition to Fawlty Towers, two of Monty Python's most famous sketches, the Dead Parrot and the Cheese Shop, are examples of extremely bad customer service.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

giselle wrote:

John Cleese has to be one of the funniest men alive.
Well he seems very pompous when he is interviewed and so I think that's what makes him so funny. My favourite comedy film of all time is 'Clockwise' - which is funny no matter how often we watch it. It is as good a the Woody Allan one, 'The Sleeper'.....well almost.

John Cleese has suffered terribly with depression and so I think that is perhaps what makes him such a comic genius.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I don't remember the dead parrot (or do I?) but the cheese shop is a classic. I don't know about John Cleese's "pomposity" but aboard ship (which is where we met and were entertained by him) he was very loath in a Q& A segment of his talk to discuss any details of his childhood.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

geo wrote: I've always liked this blog about castles and tents. It's worth a read.

http://thethinkerblog.com/?p=9479
From the blog:

Critical thinkers should live in tents, not in castles.

People who are opinionated and closed minded (sometimes euphemistically characterized as being “strong in their convictions”) live in castles. Interested only in the defense of their opinions, they throw up walls and embattlements from which to protect and defend their firmly entrenched beliefs against attack. Castles by their very nature, while good for defense, are set in stone and cannot move, which is just fine with the opinionated person.

In contrast, good critical thinkers live in tents. Interested only in moving their opinions as close to the truth as possible, they must be able to pull up tent stakes and relocate as new arguments and new evidence cause them to reconsider their opinions. Tents by their very nature are not defensible, but that’s fine. The critical thinker doesn’t regard a criticism or disagreement as an attack to be defended against, but rather as a helpful tip that suggests a better campsite just over the next hill.

The other side of this is that the 'grass may always look greener on the other side'. You can chase the truth, forever moving your tent, until one day you realize that there is no 'truth'. This continual moving from one camp to the next can become an excuse for never really accomplishing anything in life, or never committing to anything.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Penelope wrote: Well he seems very pompous when he is interviewed and so I think that's what makes him so funny.
John Cleese has suffered terribly with depression and so I think that is perhaps what makes him such a comic genius.
I think there is little doubt that the tensions and conflicts in John Cleese's character, especially his apparently pompous nature, contribute greatly to his humour. When he gets really wound up about something, one of his trademark comedic moments, the energy he finds and the intensity of that energy I would guess is drawn from inner tension and conflict.

Returning to the Pollock blog that opened this thread, I really like the closing line, "Just as a probability distribution is not an accomplishment, a policy preference is not a part of who you are."

Identity and identity politics does have that rather scary element of herd-mentality where people can easily be swayed toward membership in a group because one opening idea is attractive and this creates a door to walk through without the necessity of examining the other ideas that are present and make up the packaga. Once through the door the social pressure to conform and to follow the leader can be heavy-duty and so the chances of real, objective examination become less and less. I think this can become mixed up with one's identity.

There is a considerable difference between saying "I'm a Republican", "I'm a member of the Republican party" and "I agree with some aspects of the Republican platform" ... a continuum from identity politics to open political thought and engagement.

In some ways, this notion of 'holding beliefs at arms length' is akin to the reverse notion, that is, 'to suspend disbelief'. This is a common enough notion that we should not confront a new idea with absolute scepticism and give it at least some consideration. In both cases, the belief factor (positive of negative) is seen as an impediment to clear thinking about the matter at hand (or any thinking).

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”