• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

POLL: October, November and December 2011 NON-FICTION book selection

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: POLL: October, November and December 2011 NON-FICTION book selection

Unread post

Chris O'Connor wrote:OK, then I guess I should do a poll. I was hoping to have more people involved. Maybe if I send an email to the entire community. I hate doing that because some people consider it spam.
We have three superb books to choose from here. A further email to the entire community with the opening post here and a link and a deadline (one week?) would be a great way to encourage some dormant members back. I can't imagine why anyone would object to that.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I already did an email with a link to this poll. I'm not sure everyone received it.
nomsisa
Master Debater

Unread post

I would be interested in all three selctions, still I 'll vote to read Hitchens' work.
Strange.. I liked Hitchens.. when he was leaning toward the left... somhow the wind has changed and he is drifting in an oposite direction. But he remains a good read..and a most interesting writer...
"Arguably " has my vote... but would be delighted with the others as well... Great selections, Chris, all around.
Thanks, nom
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Hi Nom,

If you go back up and read the first post you'll see that we have a rule requiring voters to have at least 25 posts on our forums to be allowed to vote in book polls. I could post a long explanation for why we have this rule but this just isn't the place. Maybe I should create a page I can link to when issues like this arise.

In your case we might bend the rule because you said enough in your post to make us believe you're probably serious about participating. But from experience new members, members with very few posts (<25), and members with really brief posts - these people will simply never participate when it comes time for the actual book discussion. You appear to be different. But only time will tell.

As you can see "barakarahman" has 1 total post on our forums and that forum was a vote in this poll. His post was brief and to the point and there is nothing in his or her favor for being included in our poll. Even though I made an edit of his or her post and suggested reading the rules there have been no more visits or posts by this person. They simply vanished and probably will never return. That right there is the basis for the 25+ post rule.

Please get out there on the forums and make some posts. Get involved in some of the discussions we have going on. Show us you're not a hit-and-run voter. :)
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
nomsisa
Master Debater

Unread post

Hi Chris...
I have tried to erase my post...No need to bend the rules for me... I should have read your instructions. :(
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm going to close this poll and add up the votes. BRB
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

OK, the tally is as follows:

Infidel = 2 votes
The Structure = 7 votes
Arguably = 9 votes

I didn't vote in this poll but I would have voted 1 for each of the 3 books. That wouldn't change the score. Christopher Hitchen's "Arguably" has won by a small margin. :)

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”