• In total there are 22 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Am I an athiest?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Re: Am I an athiest?

Unread post

What may be difficult to understand is a difference of opinion, or a difference in belief is just that. My belief system is different than that of a Christian, I can say that, but what I am not saying is that I don't like Christians because of this difference. Criticising God, does not necessarily mean an attack on the person who believes in that god. Many adults can't grasp this. When this idea is understood discussions about God can be productive.
Exactly!! that is what I mean. I do not judge people who do not believe in God, I just want them to see how I see things. Most adults don't understand that. And I'm sorry if I confused some people, or had people who think I was trying to be disrespectful. But that's the difference between an adult and a teen/child. Kids like me are open to different opinions, but an adult is cemented in his ways. I think if more teens and kids like me stood up, and shouted to the world what we believe, then maybe the world will be different. We kids are powerful people, we just don't realize it. I wish more people did. God bless.
Katie
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Kids like me are open to different opinions, but an adult is cemented in his ways.
and
@ James Vaught, I thank you, but I already understand. I see the world as it is. I see the truth of it.
Katelyn,
Do you not think that these two statements contradict one another?
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

@ realiz, No. I do not. I do see the world as it is. a messed up place. What makes you think it isnt? i am completely open to hear others opinions but everyone will agree that the world is messed up.
Katie
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

Funny, right under my name, it say's Master Debater. I think i earned that, don't you? :)
Katie
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Well, I'm not sure....

From the internet:
So what is a debate?
A debate involves a discussion of the pros and cons of an issue. Debating successfully is all about using argument and persuasion to convince other people that your views are right.

6 steps to debating perfection

Research: Research the subject, so that you have facts to back up your views. It helps to validate your answer so it becomes more than just your opinion.

Logic: Use logic to develop your case and make your points. Lead each point on from what you were previously saying. That way you build up a story and expand your answer.

Counter arguments: It's always good to be prepared so consider the counter arguments in advance. That way the other side can't catch you out and you're always prepared.

Keep an open mind: Be open minded and prepared to change your opinion if you the other side convinces you your argument is flawed.

In the heat of a debate it's easy to lose your cool

Don't get personal: In the heat of a debate it's easy to lose your cool and attack the other person for having a different opinion to you. But remember they're entitled to that opinion and just because they don't think the same as you it's not a bad thing.

Stay Focused: Stick to the subject being debated and don't stray into other areas. It sounds obvious but it's easy to do once you start debating.
A good debater should be able to debate any side of an argument, regardless of personal beliefs. So, to show how good you are, try taking the opposite position. What would you say to persuade people there was no god?
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

I wouldn't. Sorry, but when I said that prayer and asked Jesus into my heart almost 9 years ago, I made a promise that I would never deny his name. And I intend with all my heart to never do that. Come what may. I was joking, anyway. It was meant to lighten people, considering how I seem to be the 'bad guy' b/c I love Jesus. Yeah, I'm a Honk-If-You-Love-Jesus kinda girl, a Bible Thumper, and any other name you can think of. Those are meant to insult, but to me and most other Christians, its a badge of honor. And I'm proud to be one of 'those' people.
Katie
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Katelyn:

I don't consider you to be the "bad guy" because of your belief in Jesus. I simply think you're mistaken in your belief, even though you are absolutely sincere.

I come from a family that was always sort of "strange" with regard to religion. My mother never attended church as a child because her parents weren't particularly religious, not anti-religious mind you, just not religious to any great extent. My father had a "run-in" with some minister in his youth, and consequently despised ALL "men of the cloth," whatever the faith. Thus, we never went to church as a family. I have two brothers and two sisters. As adults, only my youngest brother is religious. The rest of us are indifferent to religion or, in my case, totally agnostic. Consequently, when I read Paine's Age of Reason in college, it coalesced all of what I had always thought of religion to that point, but had never formulated into a systematic view of religion.

You didn't mention Paine's work in your response to me, so I assume you haven't read it. I would urge you to do so, if for no other reason, to know precisely what so many think about Christianity. It's amazingly well written and accessible, even at a distance of some 220 years. It's not an attack on Christians, really. It does point out the problems with Christianity as a philosophy and belief system.

Another good exposition on the subject is Bertrand Russell's "Why I Am Not a Christian." It's not as eloquent as Paine's work, but it does make some good points.
Last edited by James Vaught on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:What may be difficult to understand is a difference of opinion, or a difference in belief is just that. My belief system is different than that of a Christian, I can say that, but what I am not saying is that I don't like Christians because of this difference. Criticising God, does not necessarily mean an attack on the person who believes in that god. Many adults can't grasp this. When this idea is understood discussions about God can be productive.
(author) Katelyn wrote:Exactly!! that is what I mean. I do not judge people who do not believe in God, I just want them to see how I see things. Most adults don't understand that. And I'm sorry if I confused some people, or had people who think I was trying to be disrespectful. But that's the difference between an adult and a teen/child. Kids like me are open to different opinions, but an adult is cemented in his ways.
One of us is confused. I am sorry if I did not make myself clear in my post. What I tried to say was; many adults who strongly believe in God feel personally attacked when their opinion about God is challenged and until this feeling is eliminated there can be no productive discussion.

However, this may not make sense to you. Your belief in God has become a part of you, kinda like it's in your DNA and because of this, any challenge of your opinion will seem like a personal attack. But an opinion about God is not in DNA, it's not like hair color, or skin color, it's a choice. Unfortunatly your opinion is so cemented in your person that you are unwilling to even listen to the opinions of others. I do think this is a shame. I also think it can be dangerous. The real threat to those who do not believe in your God, is not fire and brimstone and hell, the threats you have thrown around. The real threats come from those who are so cemented in the opinions that they hold, they will resort to violence. Real, actually happening, see it with your own eyes, violence.
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

No, I did not read it. And I wasn't saying anyone on here considers me a 'bad guy'. I'm just saying that's how the world see's Christians. It's funny, b/c Christians started the USA. We all were so better off back then. I wonder why?
Katie
nomsisa
Master Debater

Unread post

geo wrote:
ant wrote:
nomsisa wrote:Hi Katelyn... Having just arrived on these forums. perhaps it is not my place to trying to lure you back . No one here is right, no one here is wrong... Each is right in their "OWN" conviction, and each one of us should honor different views, different beliefs as long as we treat humanity, all of it... with respect. It really doesn't much matter if a comforting, forgiving and just god or 'own soul ( moral compass ) is in charge.

There are no truths, only interpretations.

I respectfully disagree. There are many objective truths supported by empirical evidence that we can accept with a high degree of confidence. Humans have made great strides in understanding the world through the scientific process. The polio vaccination, for example, has virtually eliminated the incidence of polio in the developed world. We understand the mechanism by which it works—a dose of inactivate poliovirus triggers an immuno response. This isn't anyone's subjective interpretation of the facts. Thus it is repeatable and the fact that it works demonstrates that it is objectively true.

Someone who equates the scientific validity of the polio vaccine with say a religious belief is being inherently dishonest. The two are not on equal footing, not by a long shot.
Geo, thanks for your response. Perhaps you misunderstood. I do not question the validity of science. (Even thou results do change often over time) god has been elusive in my life, and will probably stay that way; I can respect people who believe in god or in a higher power of their choosing. .. I made Tolerance for others my religion.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”