• In total there are 53 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What Is Your Favorite Book-Buying Experience?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

What Is Your Favorite Book-Buying Experience?

Unread post

While many of us old timers continue to bemoan the demise of the brick-and-mortar bookstore, we also probably take advantage of the low prices and convenience of shopping online (kind of like shooting oneself in the foot). What I’d like to do here is open a discussion about the book-shopping experience, and see how many folks out there are aware of how interesting and enlightening it can be to visit the few remaining independent bookstores and spend time discussing books (as we do here) in person with true book lovers and knowledgeable owners and employees.

I say “independent” bookstores to differentiate them from the chain variety, most of which seem to employ young folks for their sales abilities, rather than their knowledge of books and authors (I apologize to those sincere and knowledgeable employees who truly have an interest in books and in helping people find what they might like). Though I did find the large selection and amenities in the chain stores intriguing at first, of late they seem to have evolved into businesses more intent on selling coffee and unhealthy snacks, along with trinkets, games and tons of “impulse” items.

Even though they are rapidly disappearing, you can still find independent bookstores tucked away in obscure spots around cities and towns. Most of these are owned/managed by book lovers who are well read and have deep knowledge of their inventory and authors in general. And, if they are successful enough to have employees, the owners usually only hire people like themselves. I still love finding these small treasures from time to time, discussing books with the owners or employees, taking and giving suggestions, and generally spending time with others whose interest in books rivals my own.

I don’t want to limit the discussion to this, but I would like to hear from folks who have a particular bookstore they prefer, perhaps with addresses or website links so others can find them when they happen to be nearby. I’d also like to hear opinions on the book-buying experience; whether you prefer online, chain or independent stores, and why.

That said, let me kick this off by mentioning one of my favorite brick-and-mortar independent bookstores.

Haslams is a store in my home town of St. Petersburg, Florida that has been around now for over 60 years. It started as a small shop selling used magazines and books, and has expanded until today it is one of the largest independent bookstores in the country. They sell both new and used books, and they employ only very knowledgeable people who love books and can answer just about any question a customer might have. They also have experts on rare and collectible books, and every one of the employees is willing to spend extended time with a customer, discussing books and authors and making suggestions. The store now covers 30,000 square feet with an inventory of over 300,000 books.

In many ways, the shopping experience at Haslams is like visiting a library, where leisurely browsing is encouraged, sales personnel are (like librarians) knowledgeable and helpful, and the atmosphere is conducive to contemplation. There you can find everything from the latest bestsellers to rare and even ancient tomes, and if they don’t have what you want, they will be happy to conduct a book search for you. Haslams is located in the older downtown area of St. Pete, at 2025 Central Avenue. Here is a page on their website that tells a little about their history:

http://www.haslams.com/history.shtml

I should mention that I, too, now buy most of my books online and for my Kindle, however, whenever I visit a new town, I always try to find small, locally owned independent bookstores, where I can spend some time browsing and discussing books with true book lovers. And I almost inevitably find a new (to me) author or book that ends up on my ever-growing list of those I prefer.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
nomsisa
Master Debater

Re: What Is Your Favorite Book-Buying Experience?

Unread post

R. LeBeaux :
On a visit to my favorite book store in New York, I saw an elegant, overly decorated lady looking very lost between shelves and book bins. She finally approached a young man who worked there. "
I'm looking for pretty books bound in leather," she said.
"Do you have a subject in mind, an author, a title....etc?"
"I don't know any authors and stuff like that... I need about four feet of nice leather bound books, preferably in dark blue and light brown to put on my white bookshelf. Blue and a certain shade of brown would look great against my blue and white wallpaper. So I figured the blue and light brown would match my decor. Don't you think that would look impressive?" :)

I didn't stay long enough to see if she found her colors which surrounded written words inside...and would be wasted on her pretty shelf. :(
Last edited by nomsisa on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nomsisa
Master Debater

Unread post

This should have been first after your great post. I love small book stores....and sadly most of them are gone. Larger chains took over and my favorite book stores couldn't compete.Now I read on my Kindle...or borrow from our local Library....I miss the familar shelves in our familiar store, the smell, the people who gave advice...and the owner who knew me by name, and knew what I liked and was thrilled to tell of a new arrival...just for me.
And so it goes.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

nomsisa wrote:I didn't stay long enough to see if she found her colors which surrounded written words inside...and would be wasted on her pretty shelf. :(
Bravo! This is the same reason many artists refuse to sell to rich folks who only want their paintings because the size, color scheme or esthetics would fit the decor of their homes.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

nomsisa wrote:the smell, the people who gave advice...and the owner who knew me by name, and knew what I liked and was thrilled to tell of a new arrival...just for me.
I had completely forgotten about the smell, which, now that I think about it, is one of the things that distinguishes independent bookstores. I, too, love the smell and the other atmospheric qualities of an independent bookstore. Thanks for reminding me.
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

'...Bravo! This is the same reason many artists refuse to sell to rich folks who only want their paintings because the size, color scheme or esthetics would fit the decor of their homes..."

That's their privilege, but they shouldn't then complain about being a starving artist.

I wish we had ANY commercial bookstore left in Tallahassee. We have two universities and a community. The universities and college have their own bookstores, but they sell pretty much ONLY textbooks and assorted, related merchandise, which is understandable. I hate Amazon and other sites like it, as it has, apparently, destroyed ALL commercial bookstores in Tallahassee. The local Borders closed a month or so ago, as a result of the bankruptcy of the chain. Barnes and Noble, which had its own location close to Borders, closed before it did. There used to be an independent store named The Paperback Rack. It closed without my knowing it, until it was gone. I didn't patronize it often, because it tended to specialize in sci-fi and New Age-type works.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

James Vaught wrote:That's their privilege, but they shouldn't then complain about being a starving artist.
I've never known any real artists who complain about starving. If you are a real artist, you do your art because there is no way you cannot. Those who complain about starving are the ones who use their artistic talent for the purpose of making money, not because it is something they want or have to do.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Great post. I love going into bookstores to read and sip cheap coffee. I usually frequent Books a Million because it's so close to my house. I take my book, my notebook for taking notes (writing in the margins is unforgivable!!!), and get a coffee. When I need a stretch, I get up and wander around the store looking at books and magazines. It's a perfect atmosphere. I like a change of venue every once in a while. It's funny... reading is an individual thing but I like being in public places when I read sometimes.

I don't seek libraries to read my book in. I dunno why but I just don't find I want to go there to read anything. I also like owning books, real books, not electronic. There's nothing wrong with e-books but it's just not my preference. E-books look like they're going to be a boon for the self publisher and bad in a lot of other ways that I won't get in to here.

Buying books. I'd never buy a book from a shop. I'm cheap and books are made out of paper. I struggle with the dilemma of supporting the author and future authors and also putting a price on intellectual genius and hard work. As long as it's socially acceptable to buy used books, that's what I'll do. I buy most of my books through Amazon, Ebay, and Goodwill.

Leather bound books are art!!! :) I like them very much just for their aesthetics. Unlike most 'art' that people hang on their walls, books say something about you that's written right on/in them. I find that by looking at someone's library, you're peering into their soul. You're getting a glimpse of that person. The person that buys leather bound books just because they're art is playing a dangerous game in my opinion. For private people, I think you'll find they keep their libraries more hidden than others.
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

"...I've never known any real artists who complain about starving. If you are a real artist, you do your art because there is no way you cannot. Those who complain about starving are the ones who use their artistic talent for the purpose of making money, not because it is something they want or have to do..."

I suppose it all boils down to how one defines a "real" artist. I've always considered anyone who creates art and gets paid for it to be REAL artists.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

James Vaught wrote:I suppose it all boils down to how one defines a "real" artist. I've always considered anyone who creates art and gets paid for it to be REAL artists.
Yes, I guess it does. My definition of a real artist (musician, painter, writer, dancer, etc.) is one for whom money is only a byproduct of their artwork, not the goal; they would perform their art regardless of whether or not they got paid. That there are many real artists who do get paid, some a pittance and others in almost obscene amounts, is a fact. However, that does not mean they would not continue to produce artwork even if they weren't paid. Also, there are many so-called artists who run their art businesses like factories, mass producing art on a production-line basis. I might refer to these as artistically talented business persons, but not real artists. Still, I guess it's all a matter of how one thinks of art, and if purity is not one of the criteria you see as necessary to "real" art, then I can respect your opinion, though I respectively choose to disagree.

Return to “Everything Else”