• In total there are 105 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 105 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Worst Books You've Ever Read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Worst Books You've Ever Read

Unread post

I have read a lot of Stephen King's books, but not the one you mention. I think I've only read his early ones - about eight or ten I think. They are absolutely engrossing but the foul language makes me uncomfortable. They are great stories, but that sort of language gets into ones brain pattern and manner of speaking.

So, when my husband said something to annoy me and I thought in my head, 'Shut the f.... up' - which I would never say really, it would shock him.....I thought I'd better stop reading Mister King.....before I voiced my thoughts. LOL

I really, really loved 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons' - and I think Dan Brown is a really good read. I don't care what the carping voices say about the books being badly written. They are not meant to be literature....they are just a jolly good and interesting read.

I've read a couple of James Paterson's too.....and enjoyed them. He's usually at the top of our best-seller list for fiction in the UK.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I've been thinking about the loss of your father at such a young age. That is so hard because smoking tobacco wasn't frowned upon so much in your father's youth. Soldiers in WWII were supplied with cigarettes and whilst they must have known it wasn't good for them....I don't think perhaps they realised how detrimental smoking was to their health.

It must have affected you to see your father have such a hard passing.

Growing old is a privilege not granted to all of us. There seem to be more and more funerals to attend as one grows older. It is somewhat disconcerting but it makes me determined to enjoy my later life on behalf of those ones who didn't get the chance.

Not that I don't have a good old grumble about my bloody achey knees.....It's not great getting older...but better than the alternative.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello and welcome James!

I have enjoyed this conversation very much. I'm so happy the plot of it has been easy to understand not like some of the books that have mentioned. It's funny, I've been reading, "Orlando", Virginia Woolf, the last two nights now I've asked myself "do I want to continue reading this"? Last night I answered honestly and threw it back on the pile unfinished. I have found VW's life story to be more interesting than her fictional stories.

I've decided to continue on through "The Dark Tower Series", by King. I'm now on the third book of the series. I tend to agree with you James about King's endings, I've found myself being dissapointed in some. But with "Tower" I have five more books to go through before I get to the end!
Penelope wrote:So, when my husband said something to annoy me and I thought in my head, 'Shut the f.... up' - which I would never say really, it would shock him.....I thought I'd better stop reading Mister King.....before I voiced my thoughts. LOL
:P
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Thanks for the three posts.

I tend to avoid King's "fantasy" work (like the Dark Tower series), but usually like his horror and apocalyptic works, although I guess there is some bleedover between the genres. Of his long works that I've finished, I'd say Under The Dome is the worst, especially the ending. I was extremely disappointed that he took me down that LONG path only to feed me a crappy ending.

I'd say that Salem's Lot was his best, even though it was fairly short. Another good one is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and, of course, his classic The Stand.

One thing I marvel at is his stamina in producing a work like The Stand without a word processor. How in God's name he was able to type that manuscript on a regular typewriter is a miracle all unto itself. I took a year of typing in high school, but never achieved a speed high enough to even consider writing a 1000 page manuscript on a manual typewriter! My fastest timed drill in high school was 45 wpm and that was going 'all out.' I shudder to think back on that drudgery. But, it made using computers seem like heaven, so I guess there's a silver lining in every cloud.

Yeah, it was a true horror show to watch my father die of liver cancer. If there's a worse death, I don't want to know about it. I'd never really considered taking up smoking but watching him die from it was the final "cure" to any desire to do so.
Charlie Johnson
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

One memorable one that I only read becuse someone lent it to me, was Catcher in the Rye. I hated it.
James Vaught

Unread post

Well, I read Catcher in The Rye. I didn't hate it, but, at the same time, I didn't (and still don't) see what was considered so GREAT about it. I suppose it wasn't a waste of time to read it, but I'd recommend many other books over it.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Avid Reader wrote:I have a rule: I give any novel at least 100 pages before I quit, no matter how painful it is.

On one hand I do understand your point Avid Reader. It is only fair that we give some kind of a chance to any book. On other hand, don't you believe that your reading time is too precious to waste it on a bad book? "Life's too short and there are way too many titles waiting for me" is my motto ;)

Thoughts?

And since I'm a King fan too I have to agree that his early work used to be much better. Gripping and thrilling to the point that it would keep me up almost all night... I loved "Carry" and "The Shining". Some of the new stuff - like "Duma Key" - is not as good. Oddly enough, when it comes to his short stories - it seems to be the other way around :)
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
BookCritic101
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, way too much profanity.
James Vaught

Unread post

I've never read "A Day in The Life" and don't suppose I will. Russian novels are way too long for what they have to say. In my opinion, of course.
witch love
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

There are very few books that I can not find some beauty in, that doesn't mean I loved them all, some of them were not so great, some of them were so boring I could weep.

When I was about 14 I read "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" - Mark W. Scott, and I must say, it was truely awful, I kept it thinking maybe one day I could get through it and be richer for the expierence, or some non-sense. I have since given it away.

I also am not a big fan of King ... though I have been to his house, and he did sign my copy of "Misery", I just can not get into any of his new(er) stuff.
In light and love
Kay
-=--=--
I love life because, what more is there.
- Anthony Hopkins

Return to “Everything Else”