• In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Kindle Books

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
eileeness311
Getting Comfortable

Kindle Books

Unread post

I'm sure that quite alot of ya'll own a kindle. I myself do not however I am thinking maybe I should get one to atleast cut down on the money I spend on books each month. So for those of you that do have one I have a couple of questions..... First how well do you like it? And do you miss haveing a real printed book in your hands? For me my books are a big part of my life and I have a hard time parting with them once i have read them. Although with the new kindle fire coming out next month it seems like a good time to go electronic. Any feedback you can provide will be appreciated!
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Kindle Books

Unread post

eileeness311 wrote:First how well do you like it? And do you miss having a real printed book in your hands?
Hi,eileeness. Welcome to Booktalk. I recently broke down and bought a Kindle, and I must say that I a like it quite a bit. I mostly read in bed, and have to come up with elaborate pillow configurations in order to support various types and sizes of books. With the Kindle, however, I only had to devise one configuration and it works well for all books. Plus there is not the problem of the bend at the spine getting in the way of the words on the page. I do, however, miss the general look and feel of a traditional book, and I would never consider getting rid of my existing book collection. Another advantage is that I can take the Kindle just about anywhere, such as doctors' waiting rooms, where I often find myself searching through collections of magazines I would never normally read in order to pass the time. The only frustration I have encountered is due to the fact that many of the books I want are not available for the Kindle, however, I am led to believe that this will change over time. To help this process along, whenever I find a book on Amazon that is not yet available, I always add my name to the list of customers urging the publisher make the book available in electronic form. Hope this helps you in making your decision, and once again, welcome to Booktalk.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

I have a nook from Barnes & Noble - at the time I got it, I could download adobe epub books from my library for use on the nook, but not the Kindle. They now have Kindle compatible books from the library, so check with your local library to see if they offer this service. In any case, I find that I actually read more now than I did before - I don't have to wait until I have time to visit the library, I can visit it online any time I like.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I was hoping they would update the Kindle DX, I wanted a larger screen -- I have a lot of pdf files that probably wouldn't work well with the small screen -- so I'm still deciding when to pick one up.
JohnGNelson
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I love my Kindle. It is now the way I choose to read. I like the Kindle because it is not back lit, so it's like reading a book versus a computer screen. You may not save money... it's true an eBook is cheaper, but you may find you buy more books... it's fast and easy and on Amazon there are so many books to choose from.... more than in a traditional book store... You'll be exposed to new literary voices you may not have been exposed to in the past.

I have a nice leather case for mine and the case has a night light for reading in bed. The price is coming down, so I'd give it a try. I tend to read several books at a time...so now my night stand just has the Kindle and not a pile of books. You could look at the Nook and see if you like it better, but I like the basic Kindle.... I don't need bells and whistles...just the basic Kindle works for me.
martinthebandit
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Dexter wrote:I was hoping they would update the Kindle DX, I wanted a larger screen -- I have a lot of pdf files that probably wouldn't work well with the small screen -- so I'm still deciding when to pick one up.
Try downloading calibre, its a free programme and it will happily convert any format ebooks (including pdf) into the right format for your ereader. Works well on my old Kobo and my new kindle 4
martinthebandit
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

silverpen
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Kindle is brilliant easy, cheap and the best way to engage the younger generation. Actually I have my book on it and it's much cheaper than the book version. A great read.

Get going with that Kindle
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I too love my Kindle. Books have always a big part of my life too, but could not bring them with me when I moved to Africa. I don't miss not having the 'feel' of a book at all, I just like reading. also useful is the way you can highlight and comment on sections as you are reading them, so instead of just skipping through a book, you can really concentrate on it, and make it last longer.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

There's usually a very long wait for ebooks from the library. Still, I love my ereader. It's so light that it makes reading more enjoyable. I'm not, however, saving money, as in the past I would buy most of my books used from Amazons. Ebooks, are more expensive than used paper books.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”