• In total there are 23 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Kindle Books

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
marQus3
Getting Comfortable

Re: Kindle Books

Unread post

Personally, I always look for electronic versions of the books I want to read. If it's a great book and I want it for my collection after reading it then I'll go buy the hardcover but I always try to go with eBook first.

With regard to the Kindle, it's not the only kid on the block when it comes to eBook readers, but it does have Amazon behind it, which means it's probably still got more available titles than any of the other eReaders.

Keep in mind that if you have a smart phone or a tablet computer (iPad, Android tablet, etc) you can also read Kindle Books, Nook Books and Apple's own iBooks all on that device without the need for the standalone readers (i.e. Kindle device or Nook device). I've been reading eBooks on my smartphone for years now and love it. Recently I also received an iPad and that's even better for long reading sessions and all my bookmarks and such sync wirelessly so I can switch back and forth between reading on my phone when I'm on the go and reading on my iPad when I'm going to sit still and read for a while. It's truly wonderful. No matter what road you chose though, I do think eBooks are the future and you should dive in in whatever form you like best (Kindle, Nook, iPad, Android tablet, Sony Reader, etc.) and see what you think of the digital reading experience! Best of luck!
Cheers!
Mark

Check out Devils and Dreamers: A Pukking Grand Novel by Amanda S. Sanges
Where the devils and human, the dreamer is prey and sanity is optional.
pjt12345
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Love my Kindle! I still use the first generation Kindle that I bought when they first came out 4 years ago and am still madly in love with it.

I remember when I first read about the Kindle I worried that I would miss the "feel" of a real book while reading, but I have to say that hasn't bothered me at all, and I love being able to carry all the books I'm currently reading (or planning to read) with me wherever I go.

If you love reading, you'll love the Kindle.

Go for it, and enjoy!
Last edited by pjt12345 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingy: No! Not the buttons! Not my gumdrop buttons!
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I am hopefully about to move, and I gotta say, not packing the 30 or so books in my kindle into a heavy box and toting it onto, and off of a truck, and into the new place is tickling me pink! Downside, not unpacking them onto my bookshelves in my new place, I LIKE having the bookcases of books as well.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
witch love
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I love, love, love my Kindle.
That being said, I too have a great love for my books. What I have been doing recently is reading a book on Kindle and if I really love it I will buy a copy and read it again. I am trying to cut down on the number of books I actually own, because they collect dust and man do they take up space. When I finally get a house custom built I will be constructing a library, but I will always keep my kindle, it's just so easy and compact, I can take 50 books on a trip without having to buy them their own suitcase.
In light and love
Kay
-=--=--
I love life because, what more is there.
- Anthony Hopkins
Aubrey.Alexis
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I was given a Kindle as a gift and wasn't sure if I would like it or not. I experimented with it - found it fantastic for traveling (you never know if you're going to be in the mood for one book or another on a trip), great for pdfs (I'd much rather read them on a kindle than on a computer screen), and great for all the free classics.

I also find the kindle a bit dangerous - upon finishing a book that is in a series, there is no delay in being able to start the next book - just a few clicks - and from bed in the middle of the night - you have the next book IN HAND.

I still prefer real books though. If you ask me what I'm reading - chances are it is a physical page-turning book. I find I have limited my kindle reading to sequels that I wouldn't buy, pdf's, huge work-related books, and classics I haven't read yet.
trolycar
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I have a pandigital and it has kindle and nook on it -- I LOVE it sooo much
I still love real books -- soo I have a mix some on there and I borrow many others from the library
plus I "borrow" e-books from our library too
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Its true it is VERY seductive being able to shop for and buy books from bed, or the couch, or the waiting room of the Dr office, I fight with my budget all the time now, where before I could just walk into Barnes and Noble with only the amount of cash in my pocket that I could spend. (I have very little willpower to resist buying books)
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Actually - just found out a small problem with the Kindle. It was 4 am, I could not sleep. My Kindle was charging in the other room. A rummage through my suitcase produced two books only. 'In Parenthesis' by David Jones, and 'Remember Me' by Trezza Azzopardi. I chose the Azzopardi. Phew!!
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
[bookworm]
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Without question, the Kindle is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Believe me, I had the same thoughts as you did. That I'd miss the feel of an actual book in my hands. But the positives of the Kindle simply overwhelm that! It's great for many reasons:

Firstly, it will save you money. Purchasing eBooks on Amazon is a lot cheaper than purchasing print books. The money I have saved on books since buying my Kindle is... well, enough to get a lot more books :D

Next, it is amazing for travel. Rather than taking a stack of large, heavy books with you on your trip, you've got your entire book collection on one small, convenient, lightweight device, so you can take as many books as you want!

Another thing is the ability (if you bought the Kindle with 3G) to get any book from the Amazon store wherever you are in the world. Simply by connecting to the 3G and purchasing it, it will be downloaded onto your device in less than a minute!

Lastly, you don't have to part with your books! You can store such an unbelievable amount of books on your device that you don't have to delete them off your device if you don't want to! They're right there for you if you want to read them again, and again, and again! :)
Last edited by [bookworm] on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”