• In total there are 115 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 113 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Matthew: Librarian, Blogger, Bibliofreak!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bibliofreak
Getting Comfortable

Re: Matthew: Librarian, Blogger, Bibliofreak!

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Your blog is quite nice. We have tossed around the idea of doing book reviews here on BookTalk.org, but the work involved has been too much for just me to handle. Your blog impressed me and maybe at some point we can do something together. I'm not sure how many readers you have on your site, but we have over 600,000 pages view per month so decent traffic here. Maybe there is a way you can do reviews for BookTalk.org.
Chris - thanks for the kind comments about my blog, I'm just starting out so praise or suggestions are gratefully received :) You're clearly doing very well here at BookTalk - rightly so, it seems a great resource!

I haven't syndicated my reviews anywhere at present, but I'd definitely be interested in working on something together. If you would like to drop me a message or an e-mail please feel free, I'd be more than happy to have a chat about it.
bibliofreak
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Sal_McCoy wrote: I like your review style.
A lot of reviewers just retell the story and say whether they like the characters or not. You bring literary knowledge into the reviews and breakdown the writing.
Thanks for the compliment. I've got to agree that too many of the mainstream reviews simply outline the plot and a few of the general themes. As a Brit, I'm sorry to say that we seem particularly susceptible to this, and it has seeped into blogger's articles too. I find the US press far more insightful when it comes to literature, but sadly standards seem to be dropping across the board (pull up a review from twenty or thrity years ago - the complexity of the arguments and the repect for the reader is wonderful).
Sal_McCoy wrote: You should check out Christopher Hitchens', Arguably. He has an amazing style and each review is well researched.
Thanks for the recommendation. I was fingering Hitchens's latest in a book shop just the other day. I really liked the title, and look forward to picking it up some day soon. I'm all for great reviews; I read a collection of Martin Amis's essays and reviews recently and found the boldness and intelligence hugely refreshing. Of course, for a good laugh I'd recommend Amis senior - he had some very 'interesting' views.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

Nice to meet you.
bibliofreak
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

And you, Kelstan :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'd only be interested in you doing exclusive reviews for BookTalk.org and not in a syndication. I don't want BookTalk.org Reviews elsewhere on the web. I'm more thinking about creating a book review section on BookTalk.org and having a few good writers do book reviews that are not published anywhere else on the web. I receive dozens of books from publishers and authors every month that could be passed along to book reviewers.

I'm just talking right now. I've wanted to do this for a long time and I just don't have much extra time to put together such a program.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
bibliofreak
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It sounds like a good idea to me Chris, and like Sal said, it seems as though there are enough people around who would interested. I think so long as bloggers are able to link back to their own site from any reviews they write most would be happy to publish exclusively here.

I know what you mean about review copies too, since starting the blog I have been completely flooded. As a book lover, it's wonderful. But, like you say, there simply aren't enough hours in the day :?

Anyway, if you decide to start offering reviews feel free to e-mail or message me. Details on my site (not sure if I'm allowed to post them here).
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hi Matthew :)
Sorry it took me so long to get back with a feedback on your blog. It might sound odd but I think it's got both class, which is as awesome thing. Very readable.
I started browsing from your Ishiguro reviews and since Japanese literature used to be my thing I highly recommend Yasunari for future reference.
I will definitely keep track of your blog since I like what I've seen so far.
Have a lovely day!
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
bibliofreak
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Aqueda_Veronica, thanks so much for the comments - it's really flattering to to know what you are doing is appreciated. It'd be lovely to have you drop back anytime, and feel free to leave comments - I love getting to know other people in the community :) Do you blog yourself?
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Hi Matthew, and welcome.
I liked your site, and was really interested in the Pullman review. Can't wait to get a copy!
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Your blog is quite nice. We have tossed around the idea of doing book reviews here on BookTalk.org, but the work involved has been too much for just me to handle. Your blog impressed me and maybe at some point we can do something together. I'm not sure how many readers you have on your site, but we have over 600,000 pages view per month so decent traffic here. Maybe there is a way you can do reviews for BookTalk.org.
I think this is great idea, setting things up so that members can do reviews? I have seen so many interesting comments on books here, it seems like there would be a ton of review talent to mine. You should probably restrict reviewers to senior members that have proven themselves to be capable, maybe setting a high minimum limit of posts (perhaps 500 or 1000), so we don't get a lot of people just trying to promote their own or their friends' books. And leaving the reviews open to comments might generate a lot of interesting replies. :D
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.

Return to “Everything Else”