• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Newbie!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
CarrieJHaynes
Official Newbie!

Newbie!

Unread post

Hi! I'm an avid reader from Boston. I read constantly and I also write. I have a wide range of interest in reading. I love history especially the American Revolution although at the moment I'm engrossed in the French Revolution. I love romance, mysteries, thrillers and even paranormals. I also enjoy books like the Hunger Games. I loved The Help and can't wait to read The Night Circus. I love classic books from Jane Eyre to Kill a Mockingbird. I have reread many classics numerous times. I get excited when I read a really good book. My problem though when I read is that I become so engrossed I don't put it down until its done. I write a wide range also. My favorite is historicals, but I have also written a paranormal and I'm just releasing a fantasy series.

I'm a mother of three older children and have been married for almost twenty-five to the most wonderful man (still). I was raised in the South on a farm with lots of animals which probably explains having three dogs and a cat.

I admit I'm addicted to Facebook. I have a fan page where I use it to recommend books. I think that's one of the reasons I'm here is to see what everyone is reading. Sometimes I get tunnel vision. I want to know what's on the horizon that everyone loves. I guess while I'm confessing. I watch reality TV such as Dancing with the Stars, Survivor and The Amazing Race. I also a big fan of NCIS.

Would love to travel. Haven't done a lot of it since my kids started college. Did travel down to Charleston last summer. Lovely city. Fell in love with it! I think that's about it on me. Now I just have to figure out this site. Looks great!
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Newbie!

Unread post

CarrieJHaynes wrote:I think that's one of the reasons I'm here is to see what everyone is reading.
Hi Carrie. Welcome to Booktalk. I am currently re-reading a book by Robert M. Pirsig called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Judging by the kind of things you like, I wouldn't recommend this one for you, because it is a book about philosophy, and really doesn't fit any of the categories you mention. If you check around the site you will find several topics under which people talk about what they are reading and debate the substance and merits of same, so let us hear from you.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
CarrieJHaynes
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I do read other books especially when I'm doing research, but I have to admit I haven't read anything by Robert M. Pirsig.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

Hi Carrie and welcome to booktalk. If you like historical novels, I would recommend anything by Geraldine Brooks. She combines historical events with fictional characters. I recently finished Caleb's Crossing, her most recent novel, which follows the story of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard. He belonged to a tribe who lived (live) on Martha's Vineyard. It was very good; I've also read her books Year of Wonders and People of the Book, which were both fabulous.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello and welcome Carrie!
CarrieJHaynes wrote:I love history especially the American Revolution although at the moment I'm engrossed in the French Revolution.
I also enjoy novels that take place during the French Revolution like "The Count of Monte Cristo".

I hope you enjoy yourself here at BookTalk.
CarrieJHaynes
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I love The Count of Monte Cristo. Great storyline! I'm reading up on the French Revolution for a book I'm doing. More on the lines of terror like the Tale of Two Cities. The book always haunted me.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Good luck to you in your writing ventures. Keep us updated on your progress.
[bookworm]
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Carrie, I know EXACTLY what you mean about not being able to put a book down! It's like, you juts need to turn the next page, and then the next, and then the next, because you've got to find out what happens! I get that too... it's terrible when you know there are things you should be doing, but you can't bear to put the book down... I find myself reading while I walk around town (take my advice, it's NOT a good idea... because, well, there are other people in town who get in the way)! All the best with your writing!

Return to “Everything Else”