• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Egg or Chicken?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Egg or Chicken?

Unread post

breakfast comes before lunch or dinner, or even brunch and linner. So by that logic, of course eggs DO come before chicken or beef.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Honestly, whoever responds to this post without seeking the answer is talking garbage. This is something for a scientist to figure out and not something up for conjecture among those who 'feel' they can solve the problem without first researching stacks and stacks of evolutionary and biological information already gathered on the subject. Johnson's post seems the most correct but I myself haven't looked into it.

Semantics can also be argued here as chicken is a label for a particular type of warm blooded creature. Although chickens developed from 'proto-chickens' as Johnson says - the 'proto-chicken' is not a chicken. So the egg could very well have come before the chicken for the purposes of debate. The egg did not come first along the ENTIRE evolutionary line of 'chicken' and so that is probably the safest answer - even though eggs were well on the scene before ANYTHING resembling a chicken was - anything resembling a bird for that matter!

For instance, birds are warm blooded creatures. The reptile who came before birds was cold blooded and laid eggs. So eggs were already being used before a warm blooded bird was even close to coming into existence (on a short enough time line)!

That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Specific to actual chickens, the egg came first. It was the egg of a Protochicken with that last final mutation which lead finally to full blown chicken. In a broader sense with this question, which i always find myself drawn down this road, my first post is my answer.

Good on ya Camacho!

Hah, that made me think of the speach before congress in Idiocracy... so good.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I'm good because I have electrolytes.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I think the bacon came first, then the eggs, and then the waffles.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Depends how you like your bacon. On a side note, toast is always neglected and that's something our Western Culture needs to acknowledge. Too long has it been relegated to its own plate and removed from what we place directly in front of our eyes. Toast has brought butter, is willing to accept jam, and mingles nicely with what eggs on their brightest days have to offer up to us. These noble farinaceous compliments broach upon necessity when considering a complete and balanced history.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

and let us not overlook the amazing combination of eggs and bread which is the "French Toast", or are we still calling that "freedom toast"?
-Guillermo Del Torro

froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Camacho you raise an excellent point.

johnson, with that we have also neglected maple syrup, without which neither waffles, not french toast, nor pancakes! would be then same.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Pete70
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think the discussion of chicken v egg is still debated greatly for a couple of reasons.
1/ because difference in view between evolution and creation
2/-because we didn't witness it happening we have trouble believing.

So it is my opinion that the chicken came first, maybe not the chicken we know today, but none the less the chicken
deep_blue
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Egg of course, mutant egg from other species came first and chicken appeared

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”