• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What's Cooking?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: What's Cooking?

Unread post

I have heard it said that life is too short to stuff a mushroom.

BUT - I say...life is too short to eat crap food.

Thank you for the encouragement....
Gregg said:

If you want to keep it "Booky", we could recommend and review some cook books and submit the choice recipes for our salivation.
Please, please do.....

Now, tonight we are having, lamb chops (keeping it on a Welsh theme) - The sheep in Wales, graze on the cliffsides, and taste of herbs. Welsh Lamb is wonderful. New potatoes with herb butter and fresh spinach steamed with nutmeg and chopped with butter.

I am cooking the lamb marinated in cranberries and mint....then after they are cooked...I will make a sauce from the bottom of the dish.....

I will give you a list of ingredients and some pictures, next post. But it is easy...just a case of tossing the chops with the marinade into the oven really.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

marinade your lamb chops in cranberry sauce and mint:- cook in pre-heated oven 180degrees celsius for half and hour or so.

coat your potatoes in butter and any herbs you might fancy - I used mint -
microwave for five minutes - loosely covered

Set the Table

Grow your own herbs on your windowsill

Serve with steamed spinach and grated nutmeg- steam for 6-7 minutes

Give the bones to the cat, she'll appreciate it

Strawberries (from Morocco) and strawberry yoghurt for desert

Ingredients

One or two lambchops per person - depending on how thick they are cut

Jar of Cranberry sauce, and chopped fresh mint mixed.

1 lb or so of new potatoes, sprinkled with mint or other herb and butter

1lb of spinach, washed and then sprinkled with freshly grated nutmeg - if you buy ready grated nutmeg it doesn't taste of nuffink.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

O.K. Penelope I really,really want that cooker (and will take the cow painting also!)

Gregg, it doesn't matter about the dental floss. I think I usually use unwaxed.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

This is a recipe from cooking show host Paula Deen. Paula has written a memoir which is interesting as she was agoraphobic and stayed home a lot. However it also tells a little more than maybe some of us want to know about Paula and actually made me not like her so much. But this is a great recipe. Before adding all the seasonings I would suggest mixing them together and adding slowly, this may be too highly seasoned for some palates. This is my favorite recipe for goulash right now. It makes a large amount. I would say for 8 or 10 diners.

Bobby's goulash (Bobby is one of Paula's two sons)

Ingredients
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey
2 large onions, chopped
3 cups water
1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
2 cups dried elbow macaroni
Directions
In a Dutch oven, saute the ground beef and ground turkey over medium-high heat, until no pink remains. Break up meat while sauteing; spoon off any grease. Add the onions to the pot and saute until they are tender about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water, along with the tomato sauce, tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, soy sauce, House Seasoning, and seasoned salt. Stir well. Place a lid on the pot and allow this to cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and allow the mixture to sit about 30 minutes more before serving.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW PEN!!! Awesome!!! :D
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

wowowowow I am eating at your house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Camacho:

I am eating at your house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you could. I love feeding people. My youngest son moved out to his own place over a year ago and he eats convenience food like you. But, you know, he still prefers his own place. He comes for Sunday lunch just now and again....but he loves his independence.

Anyway, what I put on this thread will be what we are actually eating and will be simple, healthy and not too expensive. Although, I never mind how much of the housekeeping money I spend on food...It's what money is for imo.

I've got pork chops for tonight - It is unusual for us to have chops twice in the week but they were on offer at the co-op and looked very nice. I usually try to have a meat-free day once a week.

I'm not intending to put loads of pics on here, just one to give you the idea, I was just practising with all those last night.

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

When we went to Ireland, we learned about 'Champ' which is potatoes mashed with spring onions and butter. Which is on the menu tonight.

Grilled Pork chops. And yellow and green peppers, smoked garlic, and red and yellow tomatoes braised in olive oil with salt and coarsly ground black pepper.

For desert we had orange flavoured fruit bread....toasted with butter:-

You see our glass teapot - in which is my favourite tipple - green tea with lemon.

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Another forum I belong to is talking about tea just now! One person prefers English tea! If I have to talk about just food I prepare for us, I will not be able to participate in this forum! LOL Of your lovely plate above, I would have had to trim the chop off the bone and finely slice it for my husband. He would not have eaten the tomatoes, would have eaten the potatoes and probably the bread also but not for dessert, just as an addition for the meal.

This was our lunch. I had ribs left over from a meal I ate out with a friend. (we are studying Mah Jongg together and it is taught from 5:30 to 7:30) Ed had left over pancakes! Although I like cooking it gets old when the person you cook for is so fussy!
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Oh, in this country we often cook garlic along with the potatoes and just mash it in.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”