• In total there are 81 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 80 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Religion as a bar to immorality

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Religion as a bar to immorality

Unread post

This does not explain altruistic behavior that runs much deeper.
Someone sends money to feed starving children in Ethiopia.
What is the biological advantage for the person that wrote the check?
Does this keep his "selfish genes" alive?

Science can root out shallow explanations for morality, not deeper ones.
This is a good discussion. I agree with a lot of what you say ant, but disagree with the above. To fully explain morality, you would need to explain cultural evolution, belief systems, and much more. These things tap into the moral mechanisms we've evolved. Science can illuminate the moral mechanisms, and can illuminate the free-floating rationale behind many of the more universal moral axioms we all have, but the complexity of culture and the evolution of information aren't really compressible for study(yet).

There is no biological advantage for much of what we do. The mechanisms within us, although they have served as excellent guides during millennia of tribal life, can be hijacked, suppressed, or faulty. If we are taught from a young age that throwing grass at a fence is evil, that belief, if instilled well enough, will elicit guilt in a person with normal moral mechanisms. If we see a picture of a child that sparks our empathy, even if the child is from an enemy tribe, there is a good chance that you'll act with altruism, opportunity depending.

Even seemingly unreasonable or contradictory actions can be explained from a naturalistic perspective.
The Nazi's were guilty of taking an ubermensch complex to the extreme. They were overly critical to a murderous degree. Such an imbalance is deadly for believers and non-believers alike.
Yeah, Nietzsche's work wasn't all that peachy.
Being religious doesn’t cause immoral behavior, but it is no check on it.
There are many that have converted from a life of crime, because of religion, that would dispute this claim. This is a good thing, yes?
You're both correct as I see it. When looking at entire populations, religion does not stop immoral behavior, on average. Yet there are many individual anecdotes where it does precisely that. What we want from a moral system isn't one that works good for some people, or even most people. We want one that minimizes the anomalies. There will always be anomalies in any such system, the trick is the find the system with the least. Religion has a track record of producing much immoral behavior. Sometimes that immoral behavior is masqueraded as noble and good because it adheres precisely to doctrine.
This is all just finger pointing, with extremities provided as a source of "evidence."
Amen.

But a note of caution. Individually, the exceptions aren't support for any worthwhile claim on either side. But collectively, the ratio of hits to misses can be used to judge the merit of a moral framework.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Ant:
There are many that have converted from a life of crime, because of religion, that would dispute this claim. This is a good thing, yes?
And there are thousands of people who believe deeply and yet commit horrendous crimes just the same.

Religion is a spurrious factor. The non-religious can and do live as moral lives as devout christians, and hindus do the same, and shinto, and scientologists, and satanists, and wiccans, capitolists, communists, and serfs.

It doesn't matter what you claim you will do, or what you think motivates your morality, what matters is what you will actually do. And no amount of insulating rhetoric from any religion has proven to be a bar to immorality. For, while those criminals have chosen to turn their lives around there are many many variables at play and it is likely the total of them that has brought them where they are, just as the opposite is true of child abusing catholic priests.

While a stalker claims they do what they do out of love it is no comfort to the person who is stalked. But the stalker believes his own lies more than any other's because he trusts the source.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

And there are thousands of people who believe deeply and yet commit horrendous crimes just the same.
This is more finger pointing and does not justify the condemning of religion in general.
And I notice that you are not willing to acknowledge my example of religion having the positive effect it has had, as stated.

Religion is a spurrious factor
Broad generalization.
Quakers and Hamish are two religious groups that come to mind that would disagree their religion is a "spurrious factor" in their lives.
The non-religious can and do live as moral lives as devout christians, and hindus do the same, and shinto, and scientologists, and satanists, and wiccans, capitolists, communists, and serfs
I agree with this.
It doesn't matter what you claim you will do, or what you think motivates your morality, what matters is what you will actually do.
Agreed

And no amount of insulating rhetoric from any religion has proven to be a bar to immorality.
Insulting rhetoric from any source is ineffective, regardless of what the rhetoric is about.
For, while those criminals have chosen to turn their lives around there are many many variables at play
If one variable is religion, then that is a good, positive variable. Many variables in play does not cancel out the roll that religion played. You may want it to, but it does not.
child abusing catholic priests

should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
While a stalker claims they do what they do out of love it is no comfort to the person who is stalked. But the stalker believes his own lies more than any other's because he trusts the source
false analogy.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Ant:
And I notice that you are not willing to acknowledge my example of religion having the positive effect it has had, as stated.
It isn't just so i can disagree with you, ant. I don't think religion is to blame, or receive credit as the case may be. These reformed criminals are making efforts to be better people, as as children of our culture, they believe religion is the way to do that. But it was their own decision to change their life, their own renewed dedication to being upstanding which is leading the way. Many are short sighted and under educated, so they think the only way to do that is through religion, and they may even credit miraculous visions as their inspiration, but i no more believe that than i do ghost stories.

Ant:
Broad generalization.
Quakers and Hamish are two religious groups that come to mind that would disagree their religion is a "spurrious factor" in their lives.
This is rather missing the point of my statement. They can bend their whole lives in the pursuit of their religion but there are still quakers who do "evil". Religion is spurious to our moral behavior.

Ant:
Insulting rhetoric from any source is ineffective, regardless of what the rhetoric is about.
read that again, if you will. "insulating". As in a facade of rhetoric of how to live a good life, all the while living an immoral life. People of all types do this. Evangelists who hate gays are secretly gay themselves. Not truly an evil, but they believe it to be, yet they persist despite their fervent, even frothing belief.

Ant:
If one variable is religion, then that is a good, positive variable. Many variables in play does not cancel out the roll that religion played. You may want it to, but it does not.
Religion is not a blanket good. It comes in all shapes and sizes and can be just as easily used to support and rationalize immoral behavior as it can moral behavior, both claiming divine backing. That's the whole point i am making. It is no bar to immoral behavior.

johnson1010:
While a stalker claims they do what they do out of love it is no comfort to the person who is stalked. But the stalker believes his own lies more than any other's because he trusts the source
Ant:
false analogy.
let me explain. I think it holds.

Prisoner observes that his life of immoral behavior has never done him any favors. He decides to become an upstanding citizen. In his efforts to do so he makes every effort to avoid what he sees as negative behavior and embrace and pursue positive behavior. This is already what he needs to reverse his moral fortunes. He can do this without ever having heard of religion and do a fine job. But, as a member of our culture, having religion fed to him since birth, he will naturally equate religion with good and even claim it to be the source of his turn around, despite it having been available to him at all points in his life in the past and failing to gain any hold of him for all those years. It is only when he makes the decision to change his behavior that suddenly religion "saved" him. But it didn't. He chose a behavior pattern and incorporated religion into it.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Also, i like your avatar.
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.kvue.com/news/Bastrop-Pastor ... 34273.html

He isn't a cat tossing bastard because he's religious. But it didn't stop him either.
-Guillermo Del Torro

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:http://www.kvue.com/news/Bastrop-Pastor ... 34273.html

He isn't a cat tossing bastard because he's religious. But it didn't stop him either.

I would hang that bastard myself. Trust me on this one.
And I'd probably call you after to buy you a beer to help me celebrate.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Agreed.

I'm not trying to lump you or anybody else in with this guy, and i hope everyone sees that in my posts.

The point i have been making from the outset is that immoral behavior persists even in those who have passionate and sincere belief in religion and i point this out because it has been argued on this site and others that religion is some kind of bar to immorality.

That isn't the case.

Nor am i saying that being an atheist or subscribing to any set of beliefs is superior to christianity in it's moral-granting framework. The entire point being that there is no special benefit procured by simply being a part of some train of thought or another.

It ALL comes down to personal choice.
-Guillermo Del Torro

realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

And, your immoral behavior would be okay, because it was 'justified'? Who else should we hang? I kill spiders.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

realiz wrote:
And, your immoral behavior would be okay, because it was 'justified'? Who else should we hang? I kill spiders.
Oh good grief.

Uh, yeah, I'll justify it because I detest anyone who would torture anything that was alive. In particular, a moral phony.

How's that for being irrational?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”