• In total there are 59 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The real problem with Atheism.

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The real problem with Atheism.

Unread post

Wrong.People are jumping all over you because you don't make logical sense.How is intelligence "absolute?" What does "absolute" even mean? And what advanced science degrees do you hold to be able to claim "energy, matter and time are absolute"? And what does this even mean?
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:I am intelligent in the context of life forms existing on earth. Intelligence needs context; it has no meaning without a comparison. Perhaps God made us to give his own intelligence context.Now before you just say no. Wouldn't you agree that my statement goes quite well with what you just stated.
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:How did our intelligence originate?Intelligence evolved over millions and millions and millions of years. Intelligent animals have a higher probability of solving environmental challenges, thus enabling them to live long enough to procreate. Intelligence is selected for naturally.Next question. This is fun. Problem. If something is evolving wouldn't that also take intelligence to evolve instead of devolve?
phiend

Unread post

No, I don't agree, your statement relies on the a priori assumption that god exists. My statement is about semantics and vernacular.
phiend

Unread post

Quote: Problem. If something is evolving wouldn't that also take intelligence to evolve instead of devolve?Before we go any further, I think we are going to have to clear up just exactly what you think intelligence means
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:Before we go any further, I think we are going to have to clear up just exactly what you think intelligence meansThe capacity to acquire and apply knowledgeQuote:No, I don't agree, your statement relies on the a priori assumption that god exists. My statement is about semantics and vernacular. No, your statement was about the context of intelligence through comparison. Now that I have stated what you wrote your position to be, will you agree within your own context that you would have to agree on the possibility of my reply to your statement to be true?Or will you simply disregard what I am saying because "I" am saying it, in which case you would be proving my initial post.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:Or will you simply disregard what I am saying because "I" am saying it,I for one will disregard what you say because "YOU" are just another manisfestation of many drones who have proposed these ideas as something that "WE" have failed to consider. And I think you are an Asanahole...because you are definitly trying to lead the discussion where you want it to go.Please get bored soon.Thanks,Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:I for one will disregard what you say because "YOU" are just another manisfestation of many drones who have proposed these ideas as something that "WE" have failed to consider. And I think you are an Asanahole...because you are definitly trying to lead the discussion where you want it to go.Please get bored soon.Thanks,Mr. P. Can you please explain rather than rant?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

No. Not with you. Your not worth it and do not offer anything of value.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I'll bite, I've been board lately. I'll sum up many atheists view on time, space, energy, and matter and their relation to intelligence easily; there are no signs of intelligence in these laws. To say that these laws and elements work together intelligently is simply false. Conceder this, one of the key laws of nature that allows life to exist as it does here on earth is gravity. Gravity has no motive except to attract all objects of mass. While this power allows life to thrive, it will just as readily take life away; people die by falling in the shower every day.This law is indifferent to life even though it allows life to exist here as it is. Gravity could destroy all life on this planet easily and it could happen any time. If our planet's gravity pulls an asteroid of significant mass into our atmosphere... well I'm sure you know the rest. Any way this very important element for our existence could also be our doom. These laws do not change to benefit any particular life form or species, they simply exist. It is a better argument to say that life adapted to the laws of the universe than to say that the universe adapted itself to house life. Life has evolved on our little planet through trial and error and many species simply could not hack it. Humans had the good fortune to pass down intelligence as our primary evolutionary tool this allowed us to adapt ourselves to live in a whole host of environments. This adaptability in turn allowed us to spread far and wide across the face of the earth increasing our chances at species survival. No local environmental event could wipe us out. See the goony bird for examples of failure in this category. In short there is no evidence to suggest that any element or universal law was put here for our benefit. In addition these same laws remain constant showing no signs of flux or change for any person or species that might indicate a sign of consciousness or intelligence. What you claim as evidence for God is simply the universe's normal status.Order does not equal intelligence. Later Edited by: Frank 013 at: 10/18/06 9:17 pm

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”