• In total there are 40 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Do you believe in ghosts?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Do you believe in ghosts?

Unread post

Mr Erickson65 wrote:. . . This would explain much of the psi phenomena which is proven to exist and which real skeptics acknowledge exist as opposed to psuedoskeptics found in every forum who know next to nothing about the subject matter being discussed.
Let me tell you, pal. Only a true Scotsman can tell a real skeptic from a pseudoskeptic. I don't think you're a true Scotsman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
-Geo
Question everything
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Being a panpsychist I agree but it is not in the head it is in the Mind.
I have to assume you believe the Mind is not in the head? :lol:

Have you lost it? Your mind I mean. Mine is in my head. Well, it's a manifestation of the workings of the gelatinous ball of chemical reactions that is my brain. Which means it can only be in my head. Can you show that your mind is not anchored to your brain?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The mind is not in the head
Prove it. Scoop your brain out and eat it. Then tell me what your mind is doing. :lol:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

To
claim the mind is in the head is nothing more than cultural conditioning. Please check out the claims of the Ancient Greeks who claimed we thought from the heart.
It turns out the Greeks were wrong, thoughts are based in the head. The connections of all the neurons in our head(which is called the brain) is analogous to the circuitry in a computer, albeit far more complex on a number of different levels. The point to distill is that such massive networks of simplistically functioning constituents can and do produce complex information. Short term memory, for example(which homogenizes with conceptual thinking as fodder for recombination), is achieved by the release of neurotransmitters into the synapse. The memory fades shortly thereafter due to a process called endocytosis, which is when the neurotransmitters are reabsorbed. As your train of thought passes from concept to concept, the corresponding release and absorption of neurotransmitters is happening within your skull. Your thoughts are a result of the stuff inside your head.

That is evidence based reasoning, Mr. Erickson, not cultural conditioning.
Katrina Rose
Master Debater

Unread post

After an encounter with a spirit and a few dreams, I was able to look up the two persons in the obituary, and I did not know they existed until I had the encounters. Basically, it's explained in the book. Erickson, I believe you.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

That would be an amazing event. Unfortunately, it's anecdotal, so no one can verify if it's true.

Do you mean you dreamed someone's name? Did you write the name down when you woke up from your dream?
-Geo
Question everything
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

To Katrina Rose: I would have to answer your question "No." I have seen no emprical evendence that ghosts exist, only anecdotal. Those persons who have told me they have seen ghosts, on further questioning admit it might have been a dream. Call me a skeptic (I have been called worse). I do like to think I am open-minded enough to be convinced otherwise. :-?
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Katrina Rose
Master Debater

Unread post

No, it was not all a dream. Some things were a dream. Yes, I wrote down the name and began to investigate her murder and then after 10 years wrote, 'Connects'. There was more to it then just dreaming. Stuff happened to me, stuff happened around me, stuff happened while others watched, so I am not making it up and I am not crazy. I've had stuff happen to me since I was three. I guess, because I am a believer and open to it, it happens to me quite often. If you don't believe in ghosts then you won't see them. You're already closed off and turned off by the notion.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

How exactly was the name communicated to you? A disembodied voice? A voice in a dream? Ghost writing? You're being so vague.
-Geo
Question everything
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I don't believe in ghosts...

But I am afraid of them.. ;)
“Her blood is settled, and her joints are stiff;
Life and these lips have long been separated:
Death lies on her like an untimely frost
Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.”