• In total there are 68 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
denisecummins
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

Unread post

Love my iPad. Had a Nook and have tried reading on a friend's Kindle. Still think the iPad is best, especially for reading in bed at night.
Denise Cummins, PhD
Author and Experimental Psychologist
http://www.goodthinkingbooks.com
http://www.denisecummins.com
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I have discovered another advantage to my KIndle (or any e-book reader). :idea: When I fall asleep while reading, and it tumbles into my lap, I don't lose my place! :lol:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I have a Kindle and an Ipad. I got the Kindle before the Ipad came out. I like them both. I mainly use the Ipad now though. I usually only use it to read when I travel though.
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I own a Kindle Fire HD. I usually read with the black background white ink on. I had two Kindle 2nd Generations before this one. I have no experience with iPad or other ereaders. I do use Kindle for PC to copy and paste from books, which I cant do with my FireHD. I wish I could listen to youtube, radio, etc. on it at the same time as doing other things on other tabs, or while reading, like I can on my laptop with Kindle for PC.
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I have a Kindle and the Kindle reader app on my iPhone. I read mostly on the iPhone but it's nice to have the Kindle available when the iPhone's battery runs low.

In general, I like the interface on the iPhone better than the Kindle interface. The iPhone app makes it easier to set bookmarks, which is my solution for flipping around in what I'm reading. I set a bookmark at each point of interest and then it's easy(er) to jump back and forth between them. I also really like having a search function that lets me find particular words in what I'm reading.

Often when reading non-fiction, I want to be able to go back when I'm done and get a list of interesting references to other works. With a paper book, this can involve a lot of flipping and I'm likely to miss some. With an e-reader, I can highlight the references as I'm reading and when I'm done just look at the list of highlights to see the references I want to follow up.

I agree with all the advantages already mentioned. None of the disadvantages really get in my way much, so I see the advent of e-readers as an almost total win. I guess the thing that sometimes irritates me about e-books is that they often have poorer quality editing so they wind up with more typos, grammatical errors, and inadvertent repetitions than most printed books.
Tom
tomrosemasters
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Two years ago I was a strong opponent of any king of e-book reader. But, this year I got the Sony reader for a present. I was a bit suspicious but yet, also amazed by this e/ink technology, the screen really didn't have any reflection, it looked like the real paper. So, I gave it a chance, and I'm quite happy. Now, I can carry more books in my bag and read them wherever I want. In the public transport, on my way to work, I don't have to think about turning the pages. I can read while standing in the crowded bus. :)

Return to “Everything Else”