• In total there are 31 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

world debt bankers delight

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Re: world debt bankers delight

Unread post

We are still fortunate that no one stops the publication of any books that any author can produce. Of course, the big publishing houses do prevent some quality work from ever getting out, but their motive, again, is greed. I think that they stop some pretty great work from ever being accessible to the public. However, with the newer technologies, people can get their writing out there without the publishing houses. Of course, there is not the money involved that would be if a book was published, but these houses have dwindled, like the banks, to just a few that have all the power. The smaller houses that still exist, well I can't imagine how they survive.

I saw the video. Workers in all these bankrupt countries are uniting to protest the power and greed that the upper classes are displaying. They are facing only a fraction of the power structure in protesting in front of their parliaments or Congress.

While the unions helped workers immensely in the 30's and 40's here in our country, and of course not only did we take examples from other countries, but they took examples from us, as long as there are workers in third-world countries willing to work for virtually nothing, and where there are only two classes, the workers will suffer and businesses will either fail and lay off their workers, or send the work to these countries.

The larger corporations say that they are only diversifying their interests in these other countries and therefore expanding the global economy. But of course they are trying to make more money by divesting themselves of workers that cost too much.

And right now the unions are powerless to stop it. I see from the video that the unions in Greece are protesting along with the population, and specifically their workers. At least they are standing up for what they believe in. Thousands of workers have lost their jobs to oversees in this country, and many still trust their unions to help them with this and get their jobs back.

I can tell you from personal experience that the unions are not what they used to be. And this is the saddest of all because they saved workers back when they were first formed. Their whole reason for existing was to support the worker. Now do I believe that some workers have gone too far and their demands are way too high? Sure, I think they push the envelope. Especially when times are tough.

However, most of these workers have also given up pay and shortened their hours just to save some of these smaller and middle sized companies. But many times the companies fail anyway!!!

One thing that has to change before any real progress can be made forward for workers. The entire world has to come up with a base salary for certain jobs and stick to these salaries. People say that the workers in other countries are starving and will take any job available at any salary. Well, that is becoming true here as well. So I guess it is sort of a global situation now.

But it is really a time when the slogan must be "workers unite" if there is to be any progress. Big business heads meet all the time and discuss how to lower costs by shipping jobs oversees. We need more representatives that vote legislation that will prevent this.

This country is in bad shape, but it does have a solid group of citizens that could fill almost any job out there. Yet corporations still import workers saying they can't find qualified people here. That is crap!!!

It is good to see that other countries are protesting. They are too late, and so will we be if we don't start doing the same and in larger numbers. And I am not sure that we can count on our unions anymore to stand with us. They are too interested in their conventions and trips to exotic places where they talk about how they have struggled and come out the winners. They may be winners, but what about their members that have paid dues for years?

If workers can't count on these people to represent them, perhaps they need to stand up and represent themselves.

It is so depressing to see workers who used to make $27.00 - $30.00 and hour and more now working two to three jobs in the service industry. And the forecasters say that this will only continue until jobs will be predominantly in the service industry. Everyone will be working two to three jobs at Burger King, McDonald's and Quality Inn.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: world debt bankers delight

Unread post

If workers can't count on these people to represent them, perhaps they need to stand up and represent themselves.
:D
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[note 1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
perhaps we could update it to include

throw the bastards in jai!!

Return to “Current Events & History”