• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Social and psychological issues re. digital technology

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
pomreader
Getting Comfortable

Re: Social and psychological issues re. digital technology

Unread post

Good comment Ptimb. The problem is that retreating into the online group also makes you more prone to narcissism - which has increased dramatically amongst young people (see Jean Twenge). Problem is when you have to prove you have the attributes you claim to. Of course it may be that people can carry on 'living the myth' and get away with it.

There are ways to use digi-comms in a more aware way...it is recognising that some people need to that is the first step.

Nyla
pomreader
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Good comment Ptimb. The problem is that retreating into the online group also makes you more prone to narcissism - which has increased dramatically amongst young people (see Jean Twenge). Problem is when you have to prove you have the attributes you claim to. Of course it may be that people can carry on 'living the myth' and get away with it.

There are ways to use digi-comms in a more aware way...it is recognising that some people need to that is the first step.

Nyla
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Okay, I may not know what I am talking about here. I don't use Facebook, don't really care for it and don't intend to use it. (My son and daughter both use it a lot). I am not a Luddite; I have been using computers for half of my life (I am 70+), but social media just mostly leaves me cold. I do comment on sites like Book Talk, and use e-mail extensively. Now with that long preface out of the way, my opionion is..

Facebook "Badges" are the electronic equivalent of bumper stickers.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thanks Nyla for pointing me to Jean Twenge. Interesting stuff. I'm glad that they touched on the parenting aspect in the rise of narcissism. The study segment I saw only went back to 1965, which is nice, but I would like to see data before the 60's and the explosion of counterculture movements that sprang from it. Is narcissism a necessary bi product of an increased since of individuality or is this just a case of over correction? I mentioned my age earlier so obviously I am removed from the zeitgeist of the 1960's but it seems to me that there was a shift to look inward to find answers instead of externally. I only mention this because it might be reasonable to expect parenting from people who practice this philosophy of life to beget narcissists who beget more narcissists. Which makes me question whether social media just makes the increased narcissism more apparent or actually increases narcissism.
Flowers Jasmin
Master Debater

Unread post

Very true - What I call the digital population is becoming more and more antisocial in real life but put them online they shout the loudest. Something needs to be done.

Lovely book there, I loved reading it.
The Dyslexia Doctor
by Judy O'Donnell
pomreader
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Cattleman. It irritates me sometimes that there is an assumption that anyone over 50 can't actually use a computer! Most people I meet of this age are, like yourself, well able to use technology and have made informed decisions about their use of social media. I really feel that we need to follow this sort of lead.

Ptimb - Yes, we've already seen the horror of narcissist parenting narcissist...teacher friends tell me they see it all the time. The worrying thing for me is the lowering of general ability, whilst individuals actually feel that they are actually more able...

Slightly unrelated but check out the Vicky Pryce jury questions (big trial in the UK recently). Social media dumb-down?

Another key issue for me is the need to be 'always-on' for work. I feel that this creates unhealthy expectations.

FJ- not sure if you were talking about my book, but if you were, thanks! Your book looks very relevant.

Nyla
Last edited by pomreader on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Check this article about left and right brain balance regarding online debates.
[
http://thomassheridanarts.com/articles. ... icle_id=82
Obsessive Debunking Disorder (ODD)? Are Hardcore Skeptics and Debunkers Actually Brain Deficient? Their Own Beloved 'Hard Science' Might Well Suggest Many Are.
I actually disagree with it, but it presents an interesting argument.
pomreader
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. Will look into it.

Nyla

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”