• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Suggestions for our Jan. & Feb. 2003 Book Selection need

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Another suggestion

Unread post

Dawkins, The Extended Phenotype. Here is what Dr. Dawkins himself has to say about it:I suppose that most scientists
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Something controversial?

Unread post

Quote:At Home in the Universe by Stuart Kauffman Holy glockenspiel, I had no idea this book existed. I received Kauffman, Origins of Order by mistake from the Science Book Club, and they told me to go ahead and keep it. I read, well, I read the words in the book, anyway; I understood about maybe 20%. That small part was so enlightening that I wrote to Dr. Kauffman to suggest that he write a popular explanation of his ideas.I don't know if At Home is that book, but I am going to get it and find out!
Ani Osiris

Re: Something controversial?

Unread post

Sorry for such a tardy response here, but I just noticed it Anyhow, there has been tons of advances in complexity theory since Origins of Order came out, and lots since At Home in the Universe came out for that matter. Would love to discuss that on a sidebar if you get At Home and it's not voted up after Global Brain... or recommend some other faves on the subject.*Ani chants 'NK network' like a mantra to summon up a complexity discussion*
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: At Home in the Universe

Unread post

My copy arrived today, and so far I'm loving it. I suppose we could just start a "Book Talk" level thread with "At Home" as the topic, and anyone else interested could pop on in. Thanks for the thought. Deep books are so much more fun with company!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Global Brain?

Unread post

I musta missed it - when did anyone nominate and where did we agree on "Global Brain" as book 'o the month? In a chat session?
Ani Osiris

Re: At Home in the Universe

Unread post

Cool Glad to hear you're enjoying the book.. and I'll start a thread in The Academy forum.
Ani Osiris

Re: Global Brain?

Unread post

Wasn't really a vote, LanDroid, but part of a deal Chris worked out with Bloom to generate more members. He sent out email on it, and I kinda think there's a note somewhere in the forums explaining stuff.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”