• In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

e-readers and tablets

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bookrad
Getting Comfortable

Re: e-readers and tablets

Unread post

get bitlit, they allow you to get a digital version of your print book through their app on the smartphone! it has helped me and i love it! dont have to worry about space or carrying a bunch of books around!
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I have been a Kindle user for years now. I recently purchased the Kindle paperwhite which I consider darn near perfect. I like several of the other posters like the ability to adjust font and font size. I enjoy the glowing screen for reading in a dark room without other light sources. The light weight is nice for marathon reading and who can beat toting a ton of books with you for any mood. I finally after 4 different generations of this devise found a leather cover that makes it feel like a book to me.

I still go to bookstores to pick up books which aren't available in ebook form, pretty surprising but some titles are still not available for them. That's when I get my fix for the smell and feel of actual pages again. I think if you have doubts about wanting a tablet or ereader, you might just be buying something which sits on a shelf. While I initially purchased my first Kindle out of fascination with the technology, it took me about a year until I did most of my reading on it.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I still use my 2nd generation Kindle. I read lots of books on it. Not sure if I like the new Kindle, as it's moved away from e-ink and e-paper technology and moved towards tablet type territory. That defeats the whole purpose, if you ask me.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:I still use my 2nd generation Kindle. I read lots of books on it. Not sure if I like the new Kindle, as it's moved away from e-ink and e-paper technology and moved towards tablet type territory. That defeats the whole purpose, if you ask me.
You are talking about the Fire tablets probably....which is what I am using to type this post. It is more an Amazon proprietary iPad really. Good for playing apps, accessing the internet, music, movies and even reading. I prefer my Kindle paperwhite for reading, it is not backlit like a tablet and still uses e-ink technology. I know they just came out with a new ereader for Xmas too. I've been monitoring the reviews for the Kindle Voyage and reactions to it are mixed. You should get yourself a paperwhite just make sure if you buy it used that it is 2nd generation as the glow on the screen is much more even.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
justin1992
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hmmm, I spent time reading books on my cellphone. I think it's a kind of tablet, right?
I find it convenience, saving and funny toooo :))
SO, i think i'll keeping using thiss
Last edited by justin1992 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

CoolSummer wrote:You are talking about the Fire tablets probably....which is what I am using to type this post. It is more an Amazon proprietary iPad really. Good for playing apps, accessing the internet, music, movies and even reading. I prefer my Kindle paperwhite for reading, it is not backlit like a tablet and still uses e-ink technology. I know they just came out with a new ereader for Xmas too. I've been monitoring the reviews for the Kindle Voyage and reactions to it are mixed. You should get yourself a paperwhite just make sure if you buy it used that it is 2nd generation as the glow on the screen is much more even.
The Kindle Fire was the one I was talking about, yes. My dad had one for a couple of years until it busted for some reason. I just don't like the backlit screen; I'm on my laptop all day because of schoolwork and such, and my eyes hurt as it is.

I'll be sure to look at the paperwhite Kindles. Might take me a while to get one though; Christmas presents still have to be bought.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I hear that. Maybe with a few well placed hints you could score one as a present
I am haunted by waters.”
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

That would be neat if they get me one. I carry around three or four books at a time now, and that kills my arm and looks awkward. I read too many books at a time, I think.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

You make me feel nostalgic with that comment Movie. I remember when I was your age, I would carry two or three books in a purse the size of a briefcase, for my bus ride home from work. :-D It's funny people used to try and pick it up and couldn't understand how I wasn't half hunchback from carrying all that weight on my shoulder at one time, especially carrying it a 1/2 a mile 2x each day.

I bought my first Kindle 2 in my early 40's, and don't know how I survived without it. I personally don't believe there is any such thing as reading too many books. It does my heart good to know there are young people out there who still enjoy reading.
I am haunted by waters.”
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Yeah, I grew up reading, and as an aspiring nerd I just kept with it.

Return to “Everything Else”