• In total there are 48 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Why are Atheists So Angry (A Rabbi shares his take)

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Why are Atheists So Angry (A Rabbi shares his take)

Unread post

geo wrote:I didn't read this article for the reasons Dexter mentions. Here's a couple more:

1) Intellectual laziness. Ant's MO is to dredge up content from the web that fits with his biased and bigoted views of atheists. Um, yeah, what he said!!

2) Intellectual dishonesty. Okay, well Dexter did mention this. This thread is just a continuation of anti-atheist-themed rants. Just go through these threads and look for all the challenges to his "arguments." They are ignored. Time to start a new anti-atheist thread!!

Ant proudly states that he accepts the Daddy Hypothesis despite the obvious bias and the author's absurdly non-scientific methods (that were pointed out and ignored on another thread). This is the same kind of bias and motivated reasoning that creationists use to reject evolution. Ant is oblivious to his own bias that leads him to accept unwarranted beliefs. I know elementary grade students who demonstrate more introspection and intellectual integrity than what Ant shows here on BT.

Taylor said it well when he said "this article and its author lend a great deal of nothing to the life worth living." This was in response to an article Dexter posted to ridicule the author's obvious goal to diminish those who don't think just like him. The joke is that Ant could have easily selected the same article because it fits right in with his bigoted worldview. But Dexter beat him to it.

And so here's another one that Ant dredges up in his nonstop quest to put others down. I don't have to read an article entitled "Why are atheists so angry?" to know that this article is not worth reading and that it contributes nothing to a life worth living.

A couple of things come to mind about this totally dishonest reply from Geo:

In the atheists are historically illiterate thread, i think it was telling that DWill was the only one to come forward and state that my posts added needed context to Robert's bigoted one side view of a certain historical era. Geo, kicking his legs out to cheer on Robert, goes to show that he had zero to add to the discussion.
Cheering on a bigot is just as bad as being a bigot.
You had your chance then.
Are you going to accuse me of being bigoted in that thread?

You fled like a chicken my attack on Dawkins error regarding TGD and what constitutes a scientific hypothesis. Instead you took cover in a post where you had two other people providing direct and indirect support to your opinions that differed from mine. It wasnt that i wasnt willing to engage you directly about that either. I was no matter how wrong I think you and your pals are.

Ive seen you fold several times here, only to be rescued by opinions from others that are similar to yours and that you get to expand on because of the ideas they stimulate in your brain.

Which will it be, Geo? Your 3 rd grade understanding of history, or your poor understanding of the scientific method and how it was not intended to develope scientific theories about the supernatural, or detect supernatural events in nature. I'll engage you directly.

Im willing to bet you'll simply squirm your way out by speaking very general about either of those topics with me. I was embarrased that you could only cheer on Tulips bigotry and run to Interbane's Is God a Scientific Hypothesis post.

Youve cried about me being unruly before only to later tell me to go screw myself.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

To the extent I am angry it is a result of my perception of God as being a failure whose actions in no way live up to the words. I think of it as a righteous anger, though for the most part I'm laid-back.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Kevin wrote:To the extent I am angry it is a result of my perception of God as being a failure whose actions in no way live up to the words. I think of it as a righteous anger, though for the most part I'm laid-back.
You're angry at a metaphysical being you decided to anthropomorphize?
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Kevin's making a lot of sense though, as always.
Kevin wrote:it is a result of my perception of God as being a failure whose actions in no way live up to the words.
words like
Jesus wrote:ask and ye shall recieve
Jesus wrote:for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
yay, go bible God

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

ant wrote:You're angry at a metaphysical being
strawman dogpile :-D

i don't think most people are angry at a metaphysical being so much as the harm caused by manipulative and harmful doctrine of the people who insist they represent It.

literalist tosh like

you are a sinner, born in sin, in sin did your mother conceive you etc etc

satan is the god of this world, demons are real supernatural beings and angels are people with bright nightgowns etc

you should give 10% of your income to the church etc

so on and so forth
ant wrote:who love to flood religious websites with their vitriol.
of course ant, you would never flood a website with vitriol would you.

highlights from this thread alone
We wouldn't want you to become complacently stupid.
no need to look for other explanations for the bad and billgerent behavior of atheists
this totally dishonest reply
bigoted one side view
one of my faves :-D
You fled like a chicken my attack
Your 3 rd grade understanding of history, or your poor understanding of the scientific method
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

heres some Wolpe from the article cited in the OP.
1. Atheists genuinely resent the evil that religion has done. No one can seriously deny that religion has been guilty of wickedness in this world and has provided cover for wickedness.
it is certainly reasonable for people to be angry at religion for its abuses, particularly people who have themselves been victims.
grizzlyman
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Many atheists are angry because they reject being bombarded by status quo opinions that are rooted in systemically flawed belief. An intellect mired in theological study, faces the cold hard fact that atheists, generally, are more inclined toward Nature and physical reality than the ideologically indoctrinated mind can imagine. Both sides need to 'back off' a little, and consider dialogue rather than the intellectual fisticuffs of debate.

http://www.spiritofnaturetoday.com
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:Robert's bigoted one side view of a certain historical era.
This is funny. I stopped reading when I got to this bit on the first page. In case anyone is wondering why ant is so wounded about geo calling him a bigot, the context of this debate was that ant insists that through the Dark Ages the church did nothing to hold back scientific advance, and that I must be a bigot for questioning this new crazy dogma. That despite the fact that even today most churches are anti-science in important respects, for example the Catholic dogmas about miracles.

Ant's claim about church support for reason is laughably stupid church propaganda. Sure ant might dredge up a couple of advances like the wheelbarrow, but his idea seems to be that there was no collapse of ancient civilization, no subsequent centuries of stagnation with minds numbed by false dogma, and no modern renaissance through the recovery of ancient logic.

This all indicates what Christian Supernaturalist True Believers have to contort their brains into believing in order to justify their blind faith. Insisting on the supernatural is just a way to perpetuate the low regard in which religion is held by rational people. Religion will only gain respect when it finally junks its obsolete myths such as God existing.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Religion will only gain respect when it finally junks its obsolete myths such as God existing.
Religion, or Christianity? Buddhism does just fine without a god.

For Christianity, it's almost as if you're saying that a person would have more respect if he did away with his blood. You can't naturalize a system where the supernatural is sacrosanct. If you try to rewrite the bible, you become nothing but a minor member of it's tens of thousands of denominations, and nothing more.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”