• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Tidal Pump

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Tidal Pump

Unread post

11 August
Today I am building my prototype tidal pump. I have a spa pool that is about two feet deep. I rummaged around in my store room to find parts, and came up with an inflatable floating ring, two long ropes, a cubic fabric cool bag about one foot each edge with two handles, weights for barbells and dumbbells total about 30kg, a big plastic sack, four pieces of floating floorboard to connect the weight bag to the sack, a piece of roof tile to weigh the sack to the pool floor, a length of garden hose, some electrical tape and a hose clamp. Hopefully it will work! I have just finished making it, and will now test it.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

I have won the Energy-Water Nexus Climate Colab Competition run by MIT, and have been invited to present my Tidal Pump at MIT on 5-6 October. Here is a three minute talk I have prepared about it.

Here is the Climate Colab Energy-Water Nexus Page.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Robert Tulip:
I have won the Energy-Water Nexus Climate Colab Competition run by MIT, and have been invited to present my Tidal Pump at MIT on 5-6 October
Congratulations on winning this phase, Good luck and work for the next.

By the way, How did your proto-type pump work out?
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Congrats Robert! If you were anywhere near me I'd throw you a party.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:I have won the Energy-Water Nexus Climate Colab Competition run by MIT, and have been invited to present my Tidal Pump at MIT on 5-6 October. Here is a three minute talk I have prepared about it.

Here is the Climate Colab Energy-Water Nexus Page.
Just listened to the three-minute talk. I'm very impressed, Robert, and excited about your ideas. Congrats!
-Geo
Question everything
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

I am in Boston this week. If anyone reading this is in town and wants to catch up let me know.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Here is a powerpoint presentation (1.5 MB pdf version) which I hope to present in conjunction with the Crowds and Climate Conference. I am in Boston all week and have a completely empty dance card for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at the moment. If anyone wants to meet please email me at [email protected]. Thanks

Tidal Pump Powerpoint:

http://rtulip.net/yahoo_site_admin/asse ... 223135.pdf
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'm not anywhere near Boston, Robert, but best of success with your presentation. Let us know the results.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Yeah, I'm across the country as well. Let us know how you do.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Presentation went okay. It can be viewed at http://climatecolab.org/conference2015/joinonline

Scroll down to Chimneys: Room and forward to time stamp 2:20. My talk goes for fifteen minutes.

The direct link for the video is https://youtu.be/L87gBm6LLzM

I am a bit stilted in presentation, so need to work more on that. I think the content is good though. Dr Patrick Ray, Water Engineering Professor at University of Massachusetts, commented at 2:32:30 "that is really compelling."

I was close but no prize. The Sun Saluter low tech moving solar panel system that tied with mine as judge's choice winner in the Energy-Water Nexus Climate CoLab competition went on to win the $10,000 Grand Prize. I have had some fantastic conversations about how to take my idea forward, especially regarding how validation by MIT can be parlayed into broader interest.

Return to “Science & Technology”