• In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

so glad I found you

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
micaela
Getting Comfortable

about 'why nations fail'

Unread post

Harry, sorry I missed your post.
I read both 'Germs, guns and steel' and 'why nations fail' and liked both books very much. They are definitely well written, intelligent and provocative, in my opinion. Why Nations fail is a must-read especially if you are already familiar with Diamond's theory. Indeed, 'Why Nations fail' core thesis is that the fundamental reason that is responsible for the success or failure of a country is to be found on the country's inner political institutions. The authors talk extensively about extractive versus inclusive institutions and bring forth many different cases.
I found only one problem with their thesis but I don't want to tell you before you have finished reading the book.....
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: about 'why nations fail'

Unread post

micaela wrote: 'Why Nations fail' core thesis is that the fundamental reason that is responsible for the success or failure of a country is to be found on the country's inner political institutions. The authors talk extensively about extractive versus inclusive institutions and bring forth many different cases.
This is always an interesting topic. Economists even talk about the "curse of oil" though that is overstated. I look forward to reading a careful presentation. Acemoglu has a great track record (I don't know Robinson's work), so I can expect at least a thorough documentation of their perspective.
micaela wrote:I found only one problem with their thesis but I don't want to tell you before you have finished reading the book.....
Okay, thanks for not spoiling. I will check whether my wife's copy is with us here or in a box, and if in a box, whether I will download an electronic version. I look forward to discussing it (maybe we should find the old thread and look through it), but I will let you know by mid-January if I decide not to read it.

Return to “Everything Else”