• In total there are 49 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

female/feminist poets/writers

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

You might also want to throw in S.E. Hinton, who pretty much revolutionalized juvenille fiction, and Judy Blume, who either scarred or liberated entire generations, depending on your point of view.

Has anyone mentioned Erica Jong, yet? And what's the name of the woman who wrote "The Story of O"? Ah, crap, and what's her name... Canadian writer... "The Blind Assassin", etc... too lazy to consult Amazon.

Based on "The Awakening" along, I can't say I'm a big fan of Kate Chopin. Can you maybe recommend something else worth reading by her, Rose?
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Niall, despite what I am almost certain you, and probably others here, have assumed about me regarding gender issues, I have no torch to burn, nor rubbish to shovel. In fact, I think such gender-specific reading lists, like the above, are generally ill-advised. The only reason I submitted names was in response to your implication. And I assure you that my reaction to your comment is firmly rooted in observation and experience and not imagination.

Mad, surprisingly, as I practically grew up on Coppola's Rumble Fish, I've never read any S.E. Hinton. I should probably read some of her work. I've never been inspired to try Judy Blume, but I could see her included on a list of juvenile fiction writers, though I don't imagine her non-juvenile fiction would make any list. As for Jong, I only read Fear of Flying and, outside the zipperless (zipless?) fuck coinage, was largely unmoved. Though I enjoyed her often witty writing, I think the story may speak to an audience with which I don't necessarily relate. That was years ago though, perhaps I should give it, or a different book, another chance. The Blind Assassin is Margaret Atwood, whom I included, but probably not because of The Blind Assassin, which, I thought could stand for some heavy editing. I think Atwood might be too prolific for her own good, but she does have some really interesting work.

As for The Awakening, I didn't like it the first time through either. Because it was so topical, despite not really liking it, I included it in a research project a few years back, and grew to appreciate it more. That's not to suggest that you give it a second chance. I actually included Chopin for her short stories, which I much prefer, particularly "The Story of an Hour," "Wiser Than a God," "Two Summers and Two Souls," "The Locket," and "The White Eagle."

And, in looking up two of those short story titles in my Chopin collection, I noticed Sandra Cisneros on my bookshelf, who I can't believe I missed before.

Also, not because I particularly like her myself, but because most would include her on their list of 20th century poets, Adrienne Rich. BTW, my not liking Rich has more to do with my not really enjoying poetry than with Rich herself.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

And I assure you that my reaction to your comment is firmly rooted in observation and experience and not imagination.
Would you mind expanding on that?
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Do you mean in addition to the very existence of this thread and lists such as the one housed within? Rather than further derail bookclover's inquiry, I'll p.m. you, assuming I can figure it out on this new board.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

irishrose wrote: And I assure you that my reaction to your comment is firmly rooted in observation and experience and not imagination.
Just to clarify here, when I spoke of observation and experience, I meant in general--in life, in reading, in research, in interactions with the world around me. I was not speaking of observations and experiences with Niall, himself. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding there.

Return to “Everything Else”