• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Yellow Wallpaper

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
bookclover
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I just finished reading this story and I just loved it. It's amazing how something silly like wallpaper can create such an emotional impact. And I loved the way the protagonist's husband was described (although I hated the character), so selfish and unable to understand although he seemed the best of husbands.

Can anyone suggest stories like this one?;-)
anotheradmirer
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I was assigned "The Yellow Wallpaper" in a literary class. If I remember correctly, we were given two choices between feminism and psychology to analyze the story and write a paper on it. I chose feminism. The story is very captivating. It makes your thoughts move as the woman in the wallpaper crawl. There are many symbols, meaningful ones, here, there and everywhere. If I find the paper I wrote, I'll share it here. :smile:
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

anotheradmirer wrote:I was assigned "The Yellow Wallpaper" in a literary class. If I remember correctly, we were given two choices between feminism and psychology to analyze the story and write a paper on it. I chose feminism. The story is very captivating. It makes your thoughts move as the woman in the wallpaper crawl. There are many symbols, meaningful ones, here, there and everywhere. If I find the paper I wrote, I'll share it here. :smile:
It is hard for me to imagine having to choose between a feminist or psychological perspective to analysis "The Yellow Wallpaper". Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote it as an incitement of the male dominated society of the late 19th century. Yes, the main character goes mad, but it is not from within, but externally induced. The main character is subjected to a kind of torture, being confined to her room, kept from expressing her true self (i.e. reading, expressing her intellect, writing).

Saffron

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”