• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

WANTED: Q1 2024 NON-FICTION book suggestions!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
KingDragon49
Getting Comfortable

Re: WANTED: Q1 2024 NON-FICTION book suggestions!

Unread post

I graduated from Ireland and came to the states to attend the US medical licensing exam. I can provide you with a source in a couple of months.

As for why I am not putting "MD" after my name, this suffix is only for medical doctors who have graduated in the US. Foreign graduates can only use MBBS. We can all tell it does not look nice after your name. MD and MBBS are the same thing but one signifies "made in America" and the other is any where else.

As a foreign medical graduate I cannot use "MD" after my name. I know this is silly, but it is the law here in America. What else can we do? Your soil, your rules I guess. :roll:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I appreciate that detailed explanation. There has to be something you can do to give yourself the credibility you deserve. In your book do you include your bio/credentials?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
KingDragon49
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

No. I don't have a credential page in my current edition. I actually wanted to include it and even wrote it down. But despite everything I wrote it was not longer than two sentences. My whole career can be summarized in two short sentences. Part of it is because I am still new and did't achieve anything meaningful yet.

So I decided to cut it out now and add it in my second edition where by then I (hopefully) could have accomplished a thing or two worth mentioning. And for the bio page... I completely forgot about it. But I have updated my Amazon author page, I hope that helps. Sorry for these pitfalls, I am still new to this self publishing career.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

I believe this book has all the elements required for a good book discussion; well researched, well written and relevant. I’ve included a few reviews below.

Blood in the Machine: The Origins of the Rebellion Against Big Tech

Review
“I’ve thrown around the word ‘Luddite’ often in my work, mainly as a cheap insult, so Brian Merchant’s rich and absorbing history of the movement was, for me, both a revelation and an embarrassment. The embarrassment is at how little I’d known about them, and how the lessons I’d taken from their effort were based on a silly caricature. The revelation, in Brian’s deft telling, is that technology never has to be inevitable, that we humans have agency over how we live with the machines, and that perhaps the best way to figure out what to do about the future is to look to the past.”―Farhad Manjoo, New York Times Opinion columnist.

“A rich and gripping account of a chronically misunderstood historical chapter, one with urgent relevance to our own time, as we once again pit humans against machines.”―Naomi Klein, New York Times Bestselling author of This Changes Everything

“Brian Merchant has pulled off a kind of temporal magic trick: He's told a two-century-old story with such resonant themes about technology, labor and human exploitation—and done it with such gripping, visceral detail and empathy—that it feels like it's about our future.”―Andy Greenberg, author of Sandworm and Tracers in the Dark

https://www.amazon.ca/Blood-Machine-Ori ... 202&sr=8-1

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”