• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Sweeney Todd (film)

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Niall001 wrote:What is this movie based on? Why is Sweeney Todd familiar to me? For some reason , I'm thinking gangland figure, but maybe I'm mixing him up with David Courtney.

Either way, if you put Johnny Depp and Tim Burton together and you've got a decent chance that I'll like the movie.
I'm guessing that the movie is based on the Broadway show. I have never seen it but I believe it is about a barber who kills his clients and eats them....is that correct? That's what a friend of mine told me and in the movie Jersey Girl they did a song from Sweeney Todd and that was kind of the gist of the song.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Thanks for picking up my slack, Constance.

So sorry for the delay, Niall
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

So I wasn't too far off the mark with what the story is about. I think I might see it but probably once it comes out on DVD.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Constance963 wrote:So I wasn't too far off the mark with what the story is about.
You weren't off the mark at all. Also, in looking back at your post, I forgot to mention that I didn't know Sweeney Todd was referenced in Jersey Girl. That's a film that I should probably rent. Both for the Sondheim nod and because I actually am a Jersey Girl--well raised in Jersey anyway.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I love the musical and so was very nervous about seeing this movie - the thought of Johnnie Depp singing? :P OK now I see no one will be singing. Depp should be excellent for this part. My daughter is obsessed with him - I'm sure she'll be seeing this first run...
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Hey LanDroid, glad to hear someone else here is excited about this film.
LanDroid wrote:OK now I see no one will be singing.
Oh no, they're definitely singing, LanDroid. Everyone does their own vocals, though I'm sure there has to be some touching up. Personally, I think Depp's voice is a little too pretty to sing Sweeney well, but we'll see. Also, be aware that though the material is the same as the stage production, there's been talk that Burton's totally recreated the direction. It's not supposed to be a stage to screen production
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

irishrose wrote:
Constance963 wrote:So I wasn't too far off the mark with what the story is about.
You weren't off the mark at all. Also, in looking back at your post, I forgot to mention that I didn't know Sweeney Todd was referenced in Jersey Girl. That's a film that I should probably rent. Both for the Sondheim nod and because I actually am a Jersey Girl--well raised in Jersey anyway.
Then you are not too far from me in PA! Jersey Girl was actually better than I had expected. In the movie, Ben Affleck's daughter wants to go see Cats but he takes her to see Sweeney Todd instead. Then for her school talent show she wants to do a song from the musical. She did "God That's Good" and since she went to a catholic school they thought it was a religious song so the audiences faces afterwards were pretty funny.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Constance wrote:Then you are not too far from me in PA!
Heh, actually I live in PA now. Philly, actually. Where in PA are you?
She did "God That's Good" and since she went to a catholic school they thought it was a religious song so the audiences faces afterwards were pretty funny.
That sounds like a pretty comical premise, especially if you know the show. I'd imagine parents' faces at any school, Catholic or not, would be pretty horrified if a student sang "God That's Good" for a talent show. And, looking up the movie, I see that Liv Tyler is in it, who is one of my favorites when she picks the right films.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

irishrose wrote: Heh, actually I live in PA now. Philly, actually. Where in PA are you?
I am in a northern suburb of Philly - about an hour from the city give or take depending on traffic.

That sounds like a pretty comical premise, especially if you know the show. I'd imagine parents' faces at any school, Catholic or not, would be pretty horrified if a student sang "God That's Good" for a talent show. And, looking up the movie, I see that Liv Tyler is in it, who is one of my favorites when she picks the right films.
Liv Tyler was really good. I had stayed away from it at first because I am not much of a JLo / Ben Affleck fan, but I caught it on HBO one night and was pleasantly surprised. It's a little saccharine, so not for every taste, but I enjoyed it.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Oh right, I forgot to mention, I got to see Sweeney Todd on Christmas, as I had originally hoped. It was meh. I was impressed with the overall production. But I was disappointed with both Depp and Carter's performances. Which, I guess, could say a lot for Burton's direction. But I think it probably says more for Sondheim and Wheeler's work. One of the better movie-musicals I've seen, but nothing compared to watching a good stage version.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”